Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How Much Water?

Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default How Much Water?

So as I sit on my porch waiting for the UPS guy to bring the rest of my stuff (Waiting out there keeps me away from the still angry at what I spent, SWMBO) I am planning my Brown Ale that will be my first AG..

I have read 1 quart per pound of grain for the mash, then the sparge.. The question is, about how much wort should I have when I start boiling? 6.5 gallons? 7 gallons? and at what point should I add first hops and start the 60min timer?

Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

How much to boil will depend on how much volume you are shooting for, how long your boil will be and your evaporation rate. I try to shoot for 6.5 gals for a 5.5 gallon batch. I usually boil for around 75 minutes. I let it boil for about 10-15 to get the hot break and then start the timer and add the bittereing hops. I get about a gallon loss to evaporation in that time but it will depend on you system.

SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use 40 oz. of H2O per lb of malt.
My friend Ray said this information was brought down the mountain by Moses.

Count on aproximately 10% evaporation.
Keep in mind your lab is unique, and you will likely need to tweak accordingly until you get your desired Volume and Gravity. i.e., it may take a few batches to dial it in.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I bring it to a boil then add the first hops 10 mins later and start my 60 min timer (70 min total). I get approximately 20% evaporation per hour so I start at 6.75 gallons.