Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > One bad day - Coming up!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
JoeMama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default One bad day - Coming up!

Well, here I sit at 3AM typing this, I am preparing for a 'monumentally' bad day when the SWMBO and little SWMBO wake up. It appears that one of the family pets has committed capital murder.

It all started last night when I was pissed/bummed about my poker game falling through. All of my 'friends' are considerate enough to not email me to let me know they arent coming (making me scramble to make calls to find out they are in fact not coming) so I drank beer and watched TV in the other room and finally passed out. Earlier in the evening my daughter (8) asked me if her hamster was in the cage. She wasnt in the ball which now lie empty in the living room - my daughter has a bad tendency of putting the rodent in the ball and forgetting about her.

Long story short (too late) I awoke on the couch at around 3, and decided to see if the hamster made it way back to her cage that I put out for her. (Not the first time she got loose) Only to find her stiff and wet body lying on the floor with a big hole in her neck. I will admit it was kind of tough to have to find your kids animal dead, but its going to be harder having to tell her and remind her about being responsible cause the dog is a dog and our cats are cats. (Its ironic because we always feared that the cats would sneak in the house and kill it) But it was the dog... (Little Maltese) He basically treated her as a chew toy. Boy am I angry at his little ass, but the part that sucks is hes just a dog too. He doesnt know any better and I cant spank his little ass cause hes just a dumb ol dog who was abiding by the laws of nature. Well, guess Im off to bury this little rodent and get some more sleep before I have to wake them and let them know. (I see Petsmart in my future tomorrow) Im almost half tempted to let her suffer it out until around Xmas cause it would help teach her a lesson on keeping up with your stuff, but damn...

Today is going to suck...
Pancakes anyone?
-Me

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Such is life. Lessons to be learnt. Do the burial, leave it a week and buy another.
Hamster ale?

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Oh and pancakes would be nice!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ugh, that sucks. Yes it will be painful but it is one of life's lessons to be learnt. Could I have waffles instead? I like the syrup traps.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Evets

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Why not flush the evidence, sneak off to petsmart tomorrow for a replacement critter. They all look about the same, don't they? Then sneak it in the house and say you found it behind the couch or someplace. A lost pet that returns is less traumatic than a dead pet that doesn't, I would think.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I would let my kid sweat it out til Xmas... she is 8? This is a good time to talk about growing up and growing responsibility for your pets (other living creatures) that depend on you. Id be sensitive to her feelings, but I would not jump right in and save the day, there comes a time when that has to stop, or it becomes the expected reaction to anything "bad".

Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Bedlam

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I agree with The Pol on this. This needs to be a learning experience...respect and responsibility for living creatures and all that...not that this will make it suck any less.

Her tendency at this age will be to blame the dog and hate him. Keep bringing it back to her and her responsibility for her pet, or the lesson will be lost. Doggie "didn't know any better and that's why the hampster's mommy (her) needed to keep him safe." etc.

Oh, and I like chocolate chips in my pancakes, please.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3591 Times on 3466 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 to The Pol and Bedlam. Time for some learning.

And I hate chocolate chips in my pancakes. I'm with EvilTOJ. I want waffles.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+2 on that teaching responsibility angle. But better you than me today brother.

Either pancakes or waffles are fine, but I need real maple syrup, not that fake colored corn syrup garbage. And butter. Not margarine. Butter.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6207 Times on 4420 Posts
Likes Given: 1655

Oh, that sucks.

We went through a period about 10 years ago when all sorts of little critters were dying. We had rabbits, fish, hamsters, etc along with a dog and a cat. It seemed like the rabbits and hamsters were particulary short lived, and we had tears all the time. We had a cat that tried to take out a small rabbit, but my daughter caught the cat just in time. After that, she paid much closer attention to Freckles (the mini-lop rabbit) being secure. It was a near-miss. I can't imagine the trauma of what could have happened- my daughter would have been heartsick although responsible for the outcome.

Good luck with your daughter. I know we parents hate to see our kids hurt.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans