Holiday Suicides...a mini rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
They say that there are the most suicides at the Christmas holiday time. They say it's due to lonelyness and depresion...but ya know what? It's due to the f-ing christmas music!!!!!! You can't escape the ****! It's all over the tv, the radio. You take a step into a shopping complex and they are playing it over the loud speakers, you go to a store, same thing!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sitting at work right now and we can't turn down, off, change the station, or shoot the speakers..........I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER MOMENT OF CHESTNUTS ROASTING OVER AND OPEN FIRE!!!!!!

Amen! I cant stand listening to it when I'm shopping. I cant imagine having to listen to it all day long. Do yourself a favor and lock up all your guns and knives until after the 1st of the year.

Amen! I cant stand listening to it when I'm shopping. I cant imagine having to listen to it all day long. Do yourself a favor and lock up all your guns and knives until after the 1st of the year.

The worst part is I don't celebrate X-Mas (not catholic and hate mindless celebrations are specifically designed to force you to purcahse crap...CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME!!!!)

I worked in radio through the 80's and 90's. If I ever, EVER hear Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer again...

Every fifteen f^*%ing minutes some snot-nosed brat would call and request it. Half the time they weren't even listening, because they'd call just MINUTES after it was played.

It was funny the first EIGHT MILLION times I heard it. But after that WEEK it wasn't funny anymore!!!

Boxing day? Ya mean black friday? ;-)

Or wait... they don't box, they just trample walmart employees.

I'm just glad I live in a smallish town. Big enough that ya can get everything, small enough that the christmas crowds aren't insane. Multiple years of retail have trained me to ignore christmas music, but I remember feeling homicidal back then...

It really should be illegal to play winter solstice non denominational music on any day but christmas... Even then...

hahahahah, I just downloaded Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Ella Fitzgerald's christmas albums, and I'm listening to them right now!

I set a new record this year. I heard the first non denominational winter solstice celebration song on OCTOBER 4th!

No ****. I was at Home Depot, buying some ant killer when I heard it. It was upsetting.

There is such a thing as too much.

yeah, I actually have a Holiday channel on pandora that I've been listening too since after Thanksgiving...

don't know about you, but Christmas is one of my favorite holidays and I enjoy the music and holiday vibes...

what I don't like is how they start playing the music waaaay before Thanksgiving.

yeah, I actually have a Holiday channel on pandora that I've been listening too since after Thanksgiving...

don't know about you, but Christmas is one of my favorite holidays and I enjoy the music and holiday vibes...

what I don't like is how they start playing the music waaaay before Thanksgiving.
+1, though I more enjoy the carols (religious stuff) than the songs (Rudolph).
I love Christmas.

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Prospero Ano y Felicidad.

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad

I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
With lots of presents to make you happy
From the bottom of my heart.

There is no statistical increase in suicides at Christmas, from numbers I've seen/read.

Its a myth. Just as many people kill themself in July as in December, pretty much.

I hate Christmas being celebrated so early, and for such obviously comercial reasons, i.e. getting you to shop.

Liturgical Christians (like catholics, anglicans, orthodox) have it right, they begin the Advent season 4 sundays before Christmas, which is around the last week of November EVERY YEAR. They've been doing this for 1500+ years

And I hate "chestnuts roasting-rudolph-santa-white-christmas-blah-blah" music. Classic Christmas/Advent music is great though. "Angels We Have Heard on High" was in the order of service this Sunday morning, the music for that was actually written by Handel. Quite beautiful. Oh wait, this is the drunken ramblings forum so this post is entirely too cohernt. Mods!!

One of our local radio stations started playing Christmas music the morning after Halloween. And I'm happy to say that I'm still in the spirit.:)

Love me some Christmas music. The local station started playing it right at Thanksgiving. Only time they don't is when they have programming from other source, like national programs. It helps end the frustration I get from listening to the wife and children's Top40 BULLSHT all the time.

I downloaded Merry Axemas, and several Bob Rivers albums and others. Sometimes it's good to listen to some alternates. I prefer the traditional songs usually, but I haven't heard Grandma got run over this year. They just don't seem to play it on the christmas music station.

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad

With lots of presents to make you happy
From the bottom of my heart.

I like the cover The Voodoo Glowskulls did of that one...

Personally I am kinda over xmas. Although raised Catholic (and not presently religious). I just feel that the point got lost over the years. It is selfish mass consumerism masked with a good cheer angle (see Walmart et al.) Since my family is back east my xmas (Solstice) tradition includes communicating with nature. I have yet to decide if I am going to go snowshoeing or hit the slopes. I am going to brew a Solstice Ale of some sort (once I figure out what Solstice should taste like).
Great Bend Susqehanna, PA..Now that takes me back. It was 15 miles from my college and the only close place to get Grain Alcohol. Ahhhh college and Jungle Juice with Grain Alcohol. A puker and panty dropper concoction for sure...:)

Boxing day? Ya mean black friday? ;-)

Or wait... they don't box, they just trample walmart employees.

I'm just glad I live in a smallish town. Big enough that ya can get everything, small enough that the christmas crowds aren't insane. Multiple years of retail have trained me to ignore christmas music, but I remember feeling homicidal back then...

It really should be illegal to play winter solstice non denominational music on any day but christmas... Even then...

Not a fan of Solstice? We would not have Christmas without The Solstice.

Personally I am kinda over xmas. Although raised Catholic (and not presently religious). I just feel that the point got lost over the years. It is selfish mass consumerism masked with a good cheer angle (see Walmart et al.) Since my family is back east my xmas (Solstice) tradition includes communicating with nature. I have yet to decide if I am going to go snowshoeing or hit the slopes. I am going to brew a Solstice Ale of some sort (once I figure out what Solstice should taste like).
Great Bend Susqehanna, PA..Now that takes me back. It was 15 miles from my college and the only close place to get Grain Alcohol. Ahhhh college and Jungle Juice with Grain Alcohol. A puker and panty dropper concoction for sure...:)

I'm not into the commercialization of Christmas, and it does annoy me when I see the stupid commercials telling you to buy buy buy, I'm into the spirit of xmas (well what I understand the spirit of xmas to be). I enjoy the classic hymns about Christmas and I like the old songs about Christmas, like when people used to say, "Merry Christmas!" and not this "Happy Holidays" bs...

I too have my own definition of xmas.

Christmas to me is being with my wife and children, snuggled up with the wood stove blazing away, wearing my Moose and Bear PJ pants, thermal t-shirt and looking out the window to the snow covered woods and adjacent fields and just thankful for what I have and being able to share that with my family.

I guess it's why from Thanksgiving until sometime in Feb I'm a somewhat cheerful person.

Hate the ****ing holidays.
Wasn't so bad when it was just December, soon it will start in July.
30 minutes at the mall puts me in the mood to deploy a tactical nuclear weapon, or two.

There should be a constitutional amendment banning Xmas **** before Thanksgiving.

I'm actually calm right now. Let we warm up a bit and I'll tell you I *really* feel. :eek:

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues is the only xmas song I can stand and it seems to be the only one they never play...

the holidays really screw me up, but i'm more of the murdering time. for instance, i want to kill the christmas tree they have in the hallway here at work. i want it to suffer.

Love the Pogues, that song and NYC!!!! Then again I am a native Ny'er and 1/2 Irish so I cannot be really all that impartial.

Happy Solstice, and every other denominational and non denominational holiday to all

hahahahah, I just downloaded Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Ella Fitzgerald's christmas albums, and I'm listening to them right now!

Judging by your avatar we don't want to piss you off!!! :D

Everytime I hear crappy Christmas music playing in a store I want to find their CD player and stick in a copy of the Southpark "Lonely Jew" song.

My dad always used to play Mannheim Steamroller and I remember being blown away by them when I was like 6. Downloading some now to see if they still have the magic.

Trans Siberian Orchestra and songs from E.L.P. and Kinks. Some of the Christmas songs by the original artist are nice to hear but I do prefer the real oldies like Carol of the Bells and Angels we have heard on high.
Part of the reason for more suicides around Christmas was due more to seasonal stress disorder then the holiday.

I worked in radio through the 80's and 90's. If I ever, EVER hear Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer again...

Every fifteen f^*%ing minutes some snot-nosed brat would call and request it. Half the time they weren't even listening, because they'd call just MINUTES after it was played.

It was funny the first EIGHT MILLION times I heard it. But after that WEEK it wasn't funny anymore!!!

Sorry, but how could I not

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McGMwxjhlW8]YouTube - Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer ~ The Irish Rovers[/ame]

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad

I Think in this case it really really REALLY helps to use that little wave above the n making it a ñ!!!

Because without that little wave, you're really wishing that that I have a "Succesful Anus" not a "Succesful Year"! And I just want my anus to have a normal 2009!!!!!! :p

So to all of you at HBT

Feliz navidad y prospero AÑO y felicidad!!!!!! :mug:

Back