Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 3/8" to 1/2" Tubing (Mash Tun Question)

Old 12-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
azallgrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3/8" to 1/2" Tubing (Mash Tun Question)

Up until now I had used 3/8" ID tubing throughout my all grain system.

Recently I upgraded my false bottom for my 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Cooler with 12" stainless false with Brass Elbow that came with a 3/8" barb (seems to be the standard). It attaches to a new ball valve cooler adapter 1/2 MPT with 3/8" barb inside the cooler and 1/2" barb on the exterior (the 1/2" exterior barb on the ball valve also seemed to be the standard).

My question is that I had assumed I would go to 1/2" ID tubing on the outside of the Mash Tun. I have 1/2" output barb on my boil kettle and 1/2" input and output on my plate chiller.

Why would everything be setup for 1/2" tubing but the interior line from the false elbow to the input of the ball valve be 3/8".

I looked around on the net and in some forums but could not find anything that talked about if I should be concerned about having a smaller line inside the mash tun then the 1/2" barb and ID tubing outside. Maybe it doesn't matter? or maybe 3/8" is max flow I would want anyway?

Anyone have any thoughts on correct sizing and positives and negatives of tubing size or starting smaller then changing sizes,etc.? Thanks