Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I want to make wheat malt and barley too

Old 12-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
TimothyTaylorslLandlady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I want to make wheat malt and barley too

Anybody every tried to make their own wheat malt?
I can get a lot of free malt, is it worth the effort? is it difficult?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ummmm, you cant make wheat malt out of barley malt, two different grains. If you have access to wheat you can malt it, but its not easy, its a whole new hobby.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

There's several threads about malting your own grains, it ain't easy...Do a search and you'll find them. WIth nifty pictures.

also Craftbrewer radio has a multi part discussion/explanation on how to do it...dig through the archives, here.

CraftBrewer Radio

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
TimothyTaylorslLandlady
Recipes 

Thanks, I shall look, I am keen to try now I have got using grains under control. I meant to say I could get free wheat barley from a tame farmer, not free malt (I wish).

There is brewing radio out there!! Wow, this site is marvellous. I'm so glad I joined, my friends are very happy to drink my beers but they don't seem to want to talk about it ad nauseum. Strange.