Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Oregon HomeBrew Forum > Brew pubs in Portland, OR?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Deschutes also recently opened their new brewpub in the Pearl District (210 NW 11th Avenue). You just might find the Abyss on tap there right now. And right around the corner from Deschutes is Henry's 12th St. Tavern (10 NW 12th Ave) with 100 taps and a killer happy hour menu that will surely fill you up.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I do not live in portland.

But dont they have a McMennimans (sp?) up there? I have only been to the one in Bend. The one in bend had a pool, movie theater, and a few different bars. All in one place.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrymonkey View Post
I do not live in portland.

But dont they have a McMennimans (sp?) up there? I have only been to the one in Bend. The one in bend had a pool, movie theater, and a few different bars. All in one place.
Trying to find a McMenamins in Portland is like trying to find a Starbucks in Seattle...

There are a few

Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia View Post
Deschutes also recently opened their new brewpub in the Pearl District (210 NW 11th Avenue). You just might find the Abyss on tap there right now. And right around the corner from Deschutes is Henry's 12th St. Tavern (10 NW 12th Ave) with 100 taps and a killer happy hour menu that will surely fill you up.
Damn, that is one nice beer menu! I wonder if I can fit in a stop there, and one around the corner at Rogue? Hmmmm....

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, McMenamins is up here, and there's one downtown somewhere. Out of Of Bridgeport, Rogue and Hopworks I'd say Rogue is the way to go. Bridgeport seems to have lost it's homey effects and is now decorated in uber-modern,(all glass and steel, with the old brickwork underneath) I've eaten at Rogue, it's good food, great beer and you can get Old Crustacean in ceramic bottles there. I managed to find a 2006, which will be opened in two weeks/ I've never been to hopworks, so I dunno how dinner is there.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been to the Deschutes brewery in Bend, and they had Abyss on tap. They serve it in a small snifter, and at 11%, they better!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
Beervana
Recipes 

All very good suggestions. I personally think the food at Widmer is excellent and the beers are good as well. Hopworks is a great place but a smashing success and a bit hard to get into sometimes. Rogue, Dechutes, Bridgeport, Rock Bottom, and Tugboat are all brewpubs in Downtown (Full Sail only has a brewery but not a pub in Downtown). Henry's has so many taps it is hard not to find something good. On the East side (where your hotel is located) are Widmer, Lucky Lab, Roots, and Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) brewpubs. Of course if you want to expand your list to great pubs, the Horse Brass, Green Dragon, and the Concordia Ale house are all worth a trip. You have a lot of choices within the inner city. McMinimums pubs are all over the place (20-30 of them). I know, kind of hard to choose. For sure use MAX. I think the first stop on the airport line from your hotel is Widmer (Interstate).

Best

Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #18
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+ for Henry's I hear really good things and the food at Dechutes is good just a little on the pricey side however you just might be able to get Abyss which would be worth it. Hopworks is busy but has good food and decent beer although to be honest if you really want to get a great selection I think you can't go wrong with Henry's and it's close to downtown which is probably the best thing for you.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #19
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, looking at the menu and especially the beer menu I think I'll be stopping at Henry's. Very nice selection of brew, and with 100 taps the only problem will be deciding what to order . And, it's just about 2 miles from my hotel so a short cab ride will do the trick. If anyone wants to meet up on Weds night, send a PM! Cheers!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff