Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No carbonation

Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
maxbing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default No carbonation

I have my first batch in bottles. It was a true brew kit. I followed the dorections in the kit and bottled after only one week, ( I know better now). It has been in the bottles for just over 3 weeks. I opened one last night and there was no pressure release. The beer was nice and clear (for a porter) but there was almost no carbonation. It was not totally flat. Other than it tasted fine. I must admin that I forgot to put the primig sugar in the bottom of the bottleing bucket so a disolived it in some water and added it to the top and gave it a light stir.

Any Ideas

Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

What temp are you storing them? Even a couple degrees below 70 can drag out the time it takes to carb up....Also I have had porters and stouts take 6 or more weeks to carb up fully.

Roll them back and forth on a table to re-suspend the yeast, then make sure your storage area is above 70 and stick them away for a couple more weeks.

More than likely if you stirred the priming solution up in the bottling bucket, then you integrated it enough...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Oh and welcome!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
maxbing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought that temp might have to do with it. They are in the basment and at night it get down to 65 somtimes. I will brig a few upstairs for a week or two.

Thanks
Scott

Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Yeah that's probably the issue, I live in a loft to keep my temps above during the winter would cost me waaay too much. So my beer is now taking forever to carb. I use a space heater sometimes, or just cover the boxes with insulating blankets to try to raise the temps a bit.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I've primed with just sugar and it took longer to carbonate than with a boiled syrup. I want to try some carbonation tabs for my excess when racking to secondary sometime. I wonder if it works better? Anyway I think boiling helps break down sugar so the yeast can eat them up easier/quicker.