Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Label Removal Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #221
bestswmbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use an Oxyclean knock off called Sun. Works like a charm. Sink the bottles in a tub (I use our washtub/sink in the basement) by filling with water, and use only as much water as you need to cover the bottles, thus making the solution more concentrated (1 scoop to this minimum amount of water). A lot of labels come off in 15 minutes to one day on their own. Bell's labels fall right off! Best. Sam Adams labels and a local breweries labels must use Gorilla Glue, although with soe srubbing you're good to go. Nice thing with the Oxyclean is you get all the mold out of the random bottle that wasn't rinsed prior to sanitizing.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #222
Tiredboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What do people do about painted labels? I have easy access to redstripe bottles but the labels are painted on. I was going to try the star san option but realsied its a corosive (?) liquid and not sure TSA will be overly please about me bringing that back on the plane!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #223
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredboy View Post
What do people do about painted labels? I have easy access to redstripe bottles but the labels are painted on. I was going to try the star san option but realsied its a corosive (?) liquid and not sure TSA will be overly please about me bringing that back on the plane!
Acetone/Nail polish remover? Acetone is used as a paint thinner and I don't think the TSA will care too much if you have a small bottle of nail polish remover with you.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #224
grimzella
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Chimay & Duvel 11oz bottle labels are easily removed by soaking in hot water with Easy Cleaner. left in for maybe an hour and some labels were already floating off. I left in overnight and most if not all the glue is gone. now they will go straight into the dishwasher on rinse, with heat dry, then removed and foil capped.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #225
strongarm
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Soak in plastic tub of water (warm preffered) for 24 hours then they peel off and residual glue can be scrubbed off with potato scrubber.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #226
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Easiest: Paulaner, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Great Divide
Hardest: Green Flash Friek Bomber and Pliny the Elder (Green Flash and Pliny weren't too hard just the hardest I have ran into)

I was going to use oxiclean but then I read about the scaling issues and I would have had to stop drinking and start driving to get some. Plus I would have had to spend money that could have gone to beer.

So I tried the baking soda method. I used a coleman cooler to keep the water hot and then filled my bottles and the cooler with hot water, then dumped a bunch of baking soda in. I don't know if you can use to much, I probably use 1/4 to 1/3 of a small box. If anything it is going to clean out your smells right?

I let it sit for at most an hour, and then lightly scrubbed with one of those soapy scrubby thingys. Nothing left on them. Easy,cheap, don't know why you wouldn't use that method.

Pliny had to sit for a few hours and be scrubbed with a green scratch pad for the glue

Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #227
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I toss mine in the dishwasher with a couple of scoops of oxyclean and run on the pots and pans cycle. I also turn off the heat dry at the end as to not reheat the glue and have them stick back to the bottle (learned this the hard way the first time).

Works like a charm and the bottles come out looking brand new.

Reason: typo

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #228
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Has anyone figured out how to get Rogue's silkscreen off bottles? I soak Stone bottles overnight in Star San and the ink scrubs right off, but I tried soaking a Rogue bottle for several days and I can't even scuff it.

As for regular labels, I soak in Oxy like others. A day or two soak and most labels slide right off. I've been using Avery adhesive paper labels on my own brews and those don't like to come off very easily, I usually have to scrape them off (I use the plastic paddle for my rice cooker) and then scrub the adhesive off.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #229
spaten1966
Recipes 

Hi, I a first time brewer and thought I'd share a tip, I hope I'm not repeating anyone's prior post.
I was reading several posts about using oxyclean, so I decided to make some out of hydrogen peroxide and arm and hammer super suds. I used an 18 gallon tote, added about half of a bottle of peroxide and three cups of super suds. Filled the tote 3/4 full of water, loaded the bottles and in about an hour of soaking the labels peeled off, most floated off . It also removes the Heineken glue residue. Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #230
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Madhouse Brewing - somewhere in Iowa - uses these plasticized, shiny labels that have adhesive more like a Industrial grade Avery label.

The plastic label peels right off of the bottle... leaving behind the sheet of adhesive applied by Lucifer himself. Oxyclean doesn't eat it, neither does StarSan. Going to soak it in isopropyl alcohol next - and if that doesn't work, the bottle goes in the recycling bin and I give up. (mcbethenstein, I'll try the Magic Eraser trick too.)

If you see a shiny, plasticy label, beware of reusing that bottle until you test out how tough the adhesive is.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd like to give some thanks to Odell. Their labels *literally* fall off once they've been wet with OxyClean for ten minutes. The glue is super soluble and scrubs right off - AND their bottles have the cute little hop cones embossed on them to boot.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher