Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #801
tonymark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Woops, it was Saturday the 9th that I brewed. Edited to correct. So 8 days seems like most of the fermentation should be done not just 20 points.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #802
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Yeah, generally, fermentation should be complete after one week, so racking it to secondary after 8 days wouldn't be your problem.

I've never had a problem with a stuck fermentation (knocking on wood) so I don't want to give you bad advice on what you should do now. I had a Wyeast pack I left out in the sun last summer to warm it up. Well, I forgot about it and it got cooked. I was already into my brew so I tried pitching it anyway. After about 4 days with no signs of any fermentation and no change in my gravity readings, I bought a new pack of Wyeast and re pitched and the brew turned out fine. But my circumstances weren't the same as what you are dealing with...

Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #803
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymark View Post
Woops, it was Saturday the 9th that I brewed. Edited to correct. So 8 days seems like most of the fermentation should be done not just 20 points.
Did you try putting your 2ndary in a warmer location? Maybe the yeast are just cold.

Did you calibrate your hydrometer? Maybe you're getting a bad reading.

It just doesn't seem likely that the yeast would crap out after 25 points or so in a normal environment.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #804
tonymark
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
Did you try putting your 2ndary in a warmer location? Maybe the yeast are just cold.

Did you calibrate your hydrometer? Maybe you're getting a bad reading.
Moved near wood stove. It's now at 69 F. Took reading with second hydrometer and same reading. A new cake is forming, so I guess it's going slowly.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #805
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymark
Moved near wood stove. It's now at 69 F. Took reading with second hydrometer and same reading. A new cake is forming, so I guess it's going slowly.
I'd pitch a new pack of S05 or the dregs of a finished by you six pack of 2 Hearted. If there's fermentable sugars in there it should start. Try carefully stirring the cake with a racking cane to stir things up. The other thought would be your thermometer is off and you mashed higher than you thought.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #806
juggaleo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just picked up the ingredients for this last night for tomorrows brew day. picked SafAle 05, I can already taste it.
Dynachrome Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #807
logangclem
Recipes 

Just bottled 5 gallons of this brew. 2 packs of US05 got me down to 1.009!!! Wowzers. It tastes amazing. Will definitely brew again, good job to the recipe maker. Probably 10 Gallons next time
:cheers:

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #808
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Bry97 got me to 1.012 will report back after itsbottled and ready.
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #809
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I chose this to be my first all grain brew and made this today.

I live in a condo, so I was gong to try and brew this entirely on the stove. I used BrewSmith to convert this into a 3 gallon batch and ended up with about 7.9 pounds of grain.

First off, I know some things now that I need to do to improve my process.

BrewSmith came up with a 9 quart mash, with a strike temp around 167. I'm using a 48 quart Igloo rectangular cooler as a mash tun, so I poured 9 quarts of water in the mash tun and then added my grain slowly. Unfortunately I missed my temp by about 12 degrees - my mash ended up being about 140, instead of the 152 I was shooting for. I ended up adding about 1.25 gallons total of 160 degree water but this was doing little to bring up the temp. I didn't want to keep thinning out my mash, so finally I decided to open the valve and take about 2 quarts and bring it to a boil on the stovetop and add it back to the mash. This got my temp up to about 150, which was good enough for me at the time. I ended up having to do this two or three times throughout the mash. Once I got it to temp, I started the timer and kept it at about 150 for the full 60 minutes.

Since there was so much empty space above my grains, I think that's why I had to keep heating up wort. With the sparge, I ended up with right about 4 gallons or wort according to the line on my bucket.

I found out the other day my stove will boil 5 gallons of water, but not vigoursly. I figured that I could get 4 to a nice vigorus boil, but no such luck. It would roll, but after 15 minutes I never got a hot break. I finally gave up on the stove and set up the turkey fryer on the balcony. I was leary, but the thing never even melted the snow under or around it, but it sure did put the boil to the wort!

After boil and chill, I put slightly less than 3 gallons in the fermenter. Since I didn't culture the yeast from the Two Hearted, I went with Wyeast 1056. Was going to do the 1272, but the LHBS owner said this would be less fruity than the 1272 - I'm not a fan of the fruity taste so I went with it.

Just checked my cooled sample, to my utmost surprise I hit 1.055 on the nose. I'm floored!!!

This will also be my first kegged brew was well. Very stoked, but now the wait is killing me!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #810
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One more Q.. Is 60-61 too low of a ferment temp for this? I want it to be clean tasting with as little fruit as possible, but I also want good attenuation.. Already bubbling after 2 hours at about 61.5 degrees.