Not sure I'm understanding. When you say you racked to secondary was your problem, why would that be a problem? Did you transfer too early?
I brewed up my 2nd AG version of this recipe on Saturday doing BIAB. I too used Bells yeast I originally cultured from some Bells Amber Ale and had sinced washed from a batch of an Oberon clone I brewed.
I did try something new with this last brew. Was reading my latest BYO and they had an article on whirlpool hopping so I figured what the hell and gave it a shot. I had an exta oz of Centennial so after flameout, I added 0.5 oz and since i dont have a pump, I stirred the wort for a minute and then let it spin down and settle. After 30 minutes I cooled the wort to 170 as instructed in the article and then added the final 0.5 oz and stirred again for another minute. I then let it settle for 15 more minutes before cooling down to pitching temp.
We shall see how this turns out. So far it smells awesome coming out of the airlock.