Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #511
MidnightShift
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just tapped a keg of this I brewed about 4 weeks ago. Made some mistakes like missing my strike temp by 2 degrees (148). I did not boil off as much as I anticipated so my o.g. was 1.053 but nothing too serious. Everyting else went well i think. I used a 2 litre starter with pac-man yeast and fermented in the low 60's. I dry hopped for a week in the primary after two weeks of fermenting time. I used r.o. water with 4 grams calc. chlor. and 4 grams gypsum (first time with water chemistry so please respond if there is something better I can do). I did a fwh with .5 oz. I will make this again and try to improve my process to hit the strike temp better. I think I will fwh the entire first hop addition instead of half. This is the best beer I have made to date and with some small improvements could be even better.

Had a Christmas party saturday and between this belle's clone and Yoopers house pale ale recipe the party was a hit. Nothing but rave revues on both beers. Thanks hbt for all of the information in helping me improve on every batch I complete.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #512
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShift View Post
Just tapped a keg of this I brewed about 4 weeks ago. Made some mistakes like missing my strike temp by 2 degrees (148).
Here's what I use to calculate my strike temp.

Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/r)(T2 - T1) + T2 where
r = The ratio of water to grain in quarts per pound.
T1 = The temperature of the grain
T2 = The target temperature of the mash.

For 13 lbs of grain mashed at 1.25 quarts per pound, with grains that are 60 degrees and a desired mash temp of 150, the strike temp = 164.4.

I will heat my strike water to around 175, pour 16.25 quarts (1.25 x 13) of it into the mash tun and preheat it for 10 minutes, then stir if necessary until its 165 degrees. At that point I'll stir in the grains. I'm usually +/- half a degree doing it this way.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #513
MidnightShift
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info on initial strike temp. That is what I love about this site is there is always good information to soak in.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #514
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

anybody tried this with WLP023 Burton Ale or WLP004 Irish Ale? i've never had THA since we can't get it in Tejas, but sounds like a good one to brew Christmas Eve.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #515
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure what to think about the crazy attenuation I had with this batch. I pitched nottingham ale yeast at 62 degrees F. The OG was 1.061 and the reading I took today after 6 days at 62 degrees F was 1.008. I verified the reading with alcohol adjusted refractometer and temperature adjusted hydrometer. That is ~86% attenuation and ~7% ABV.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #516
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's crazy attenuation with the Notty! Good for this beer though because 7% I think is right where you wanna be.

I just brewed this for the second time this year on Monday. I used bottle harvested Bells yeast that I washed and jarred from the last batch I made in June. I was a little worried about the vitality of the yeast from storing that long but my concerns were put to rest when I got home from work yesterday to find my blowoff vessel full of yeast and burping and gurggling like never before. This yeast was a beast in June and somehow if even stronger this time. I made a 1L started and aerated very well this time. I love this stuff! Think I'm gonna put something on the cake when it finished in a couple weeks just to see an epic fermentation! Whats in this stuff?! lol
Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #517
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4826 Times on 2884 Posts
Likes Given: 4047

I made a batch of this and it was very, very good. 1 keg was drunk at a Christmas party, and it got raves. The centennial is the main actor here.

A second keg got some spanish cedar on it, and it's disappearing quickly, too.

Thanks for this recipe. Must make again, soon.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #518
rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Kegged a batch of this 6 days ago. Dry hop taste hasn't quite showed up and it is very hazy. Hoping it will clear and develop taste in a few days.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #519
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Grain to glass in 12 days. A little haze but understandable for it's age. Still very tasty. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #520
Pbfbrewing
Recipes 

This recipe is dead on. Mine is quite cloudy but tastes very similar to two hearted. I was a few points low on my og. Left out the carapils and increased the dry hops by .5 oz.