American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come) - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Old 06-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #91
dmaher

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Michigan

I'll give propogation a try. Do you use a step method to propogate? I assume you use the grain bill and hop schedule outlined in eschatz recipe?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #92
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Germantown Wisconsin
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaher View Post
I'll give propogation a try. Do you use a step method to propogate? I assume you use the grain bill and hop schedule outlined in eschatz recipe?
Yes and Yes

I stepped it up once from 300ml to 1200ml after the first 48 hours, then went 48 more hours before pitching the yeast. I had violent fermentation when I woke up in the morning.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Afterburner Cream Ale, 70/70 IPA, Golden Oat Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #93
dmaher

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Michigan

So from bottle culture to pitch allow 4-5 days? Culture Tuesday and brew on Saturday? Can the yeast be refrigerated after pitchable amount is obtained?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #94
nealf

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Hiram, GA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just brewed this one up yesterday.. my pre-boil gravity was a bit on the low side (1.038 preboil -> 1.054 postboil) so i dropped my bittering addition down to keep the BU:GU in line... used the extra hops (.25 oz) in the flavor addition. I can't wait, I am sure this is going to be awesome!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #95
undallas
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Allen, Texas, USA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm planning to try this recipe this weekend. Anyone did a comparison between Edwort's IPA with this one? One difference I noted is Vienna vs Munich. I have both, and I want to try this IPA to see the difference in malt flavoring.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #96
joety

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Germantown Wisconsin
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaher View Post
So from bottle culture to pitch allow 4-5 days? Culture Tuesday and brew on Saturday? Can the yeast be refrigerated after pitchable amount is obtained?
That's about right. I don't know about refrigeration as I've never tried that.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Afterburner Cream Ale, 70/70 IPA, Golden Oat Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #97
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Louisville,KY
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yes it can be refrigerated. I have a second gen, and another HBT member who I did a yeast "grant" to that told me this thing really took off and is aggressive.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #98
dmaher

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Michigan

Well I must say that Danstar Nottingham is a real "kicker". I have never had Wyeast or White Labs have such a feroucious fermentation. I'm slightly concerned about the fermentation temperature. The carboy is in the basement, around 68, degrees but the air inside is carboy is 74-75. I just don't want the banana smell as reported by others when using Danstar. I moved the carboy into the mechanical room where I might get another degree or two cooler to help keep temperature down. Lots of fun.

I ordered one of Darrin Roe's stir plates and I'll be cultivating from a TH bottle for my next batch.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #99
FlyingHorse

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Brewed this a month ago, got it carbing in the kegerator now. I'm afraid it will be gone before I get it fully carbed...it's REALLY good, and I've been double-sampling every time I take a hydro sample, or check the carbing.

So I was thinking I'd better get started on another batch, good thing I went to all the trouble to harvest the yeast from that sixer for the first batch and...doh!

Somehow, when I kegged the first batch, I got it in my head that the yeast was an already twice-used cake of S-05. No point in saving that, right? So down the drain it went

Oh, well, looks like I'll have to drink another sixer of the real deal

Anyway, I've never had a "regular" beer, but this might be it.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #100
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

May 2009
Seymour, CT
Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts

I've been hearing so many good things about this recipe I have to try it now...

I think I might brew this one and possibly Ruination as well... from Brew 365