Another Utahn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaynes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. Another Utah Brewer here. Hopefully soon to be legal Utah Brewer.

I've been brewing about a year and doing all grain about 4 months now.

I've got an Abbey in the bottle as we speak, and a Dunkel that'll go into the bottle next weekend.

I've pretty much stuck to IPA's for the past year, with the occasional stout thrown in.

Nice to meet you all and look forward to learning what I can from this wonderful forum.

thanks
-kent

Welcome! I'm getting ready to bottle my dunkel too. Did you do a decoction mash on it? If not, try it next time. It makes a big difference in my opinion. What yeast do you use in your dunkel?

You know, you can use a couple ounces of Melanoiden malt and get a similar character to decoction mashing, and it's a lot easier.

Welcome to the forum khaynes.

Welcome! I'm getting ready to bottle my dunkel too. Did you do a decoction mash on it? If not, try it next time. It makes a big difference in my opinion. What yeast do you use in your dunkel?

I didn't do a decoction. I took a recipe from one of Papazian's books and played with it a bit. I'll post it later. The yeast was one of White labs hefe's don't remember exactly which. It tasted pretty good going into the bottle so I'm excited to see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

Hey we should do a tasting! I have a Marzian though its probably a month away from being ready to drink it is a double Decoction and the samples so far have tasted AWESOME!!

Trying to decide what my next German style lager will be with my barvarian yeast from the Marzian fermenter.

Welcome it's good to see another Utahn on here.

Check out ART'S BREWING SUPPLIES down on 642 s. Washington St. in downtown.

Aye there seems to be a decent population of Utahns on here. I'm impressed. I'll probably try Art's at some point but right now I'm a faithful Beernut devotee. Jaime's been nothing but fabulous to me.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Aye there seems to be a decent population of Utahns on here. I'm impressed. I'll probably try Art's at some point but right now I'm a faithful Beernut devotee. Jaime's been nothing but fabulous to me.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Art's is WAAAYYYY cheaper, and has twice the selection. Jamie is good i like her but she is only there half the time and Art's has been around for twice as long, what Jamie knows pails in comparison to what Art does. I'm not hating on BeerNut there still a good store but no where near as helpful as Art's. BeerNut charges for any classes they do and Art does em for free.

I went to Art's for the first time yesterday. Christian's right. His grain selection is awesome too! I met the brewmaster for Uintah brewing Co. while I was there and we all BS'd for an hour or so. I like Jamie and all but I think my biz goes to Art's now unless i need something on a sunday or monday when he's closed. I'll be going back today!

Its good to hear of another brew, store dont get to salt lake too often but i'd like to try Arts. I travel 14 states with my job and I stop in every store I can find and still have yet to find ANY store less expensive than River city Homebrew dzyp.com in richmond, near Logan. I've been reading these blogs for a long time and finally decided to join:mug:

I went to Art's for the first time yesterday. Christian's right. His grain selection is awesome too! I met the brewmaster for Uintah brewing Co. while I was there and we all BS'd for an hour or so. I like Jamie and all but I think my biz goes to Art's now unless i need something on a sunday or monday when he's closed. I'll be going back today!

Yeah that is one downside to Art's is the fact that he is closed on Mondays and he should have longer hours on Saturday but i can adjust to his hours to buy at his prices.

For all those up here in the north (Ogden) Utah. we had a great turnout for our first club meeting last night. Our next meeting will be Monday January 12th 2009. If you want more details send me a PM.

Greggor

Back