National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What to do with left over hops?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

Default What to do with left over hops?

I'm not weighing them out, but I've got somewhere north of a pound of left over hops, in varying weights from 1/6 oz up to 3/4 oz, of quite a few varities. Some of the left-overs I have I dont even know what they are, just that they have all been in the freezer for a little less than a year. I think it's time to brew up some left-over beer.

Anybody have grain bill suggestions? maybe a SMAH (Single Malt All Hops) beer? Maybe formulate an IPA grain bill & see what the hops give me?

For those that ask yes, I do know what some of the hops are, no I dont know what all of them are, and No, I'm going to list out what hops I have in stock. I'm just trying to get rid of some stuff without involving the septic tank!

Thanks
Zac

Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

Someone did an IPA like this awhile back. Mystery IIPA is what I say. Go for it... Let us know.

What's tappening? :D

Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It would be a crime against beermanity to let those hops make it to the septic tank unfiltered by human kidneys. I volunteer my kidneys to help the cause to and prevent the travesty.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I say do a continually hopped IPA and have fun with it.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

Kilted, whacha thinking? add up all the hops I hope to use & divide the # of pellets by the # of minutes I boil?

Maybe do a huge IIPA grain bill, 20 or so lbs grain, then add the hops up, divide by 90 & throw 3 or 4 pellets in a minute? Got a grain bill suggestion?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Kilted, whacha thinking? add up all the hops I hope to use & divide the # of pellets by the # of minutes I boil?

Maybe do a huge IIPA grain bill, 20 or so lbs grain, then add the hops up, divide by 90 & throw 3 or 4 pellets in a minute? Got a grain bill suggestion?
You didnt ask me, but I will chime in anyway

I did an IIPA with 25% Munich, 60% 2Row, 10% Dextrose and 5% Carapils. I think there was a pinch of Chocolate Malt in there too. It is different than the normal beer, and with 8 oz of hops (6 boil, 2 dry) its not for everyone.

OG came out about 1.080. Its delicious.

Edit: I like the idea of mixing up the hops and adding throughout the boil, but my personal preference is to have more late addition hops... I would keep 2/3 for the second half of the boil. Oh, and make sure you don't forget First Wort and Dry Hops

Reason: Forgot hop schedule...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

s3n8, thats perzactly what I'm looking for. im really leaning towards some kinda of over the top IIPA. 6 oz of hops dont scare me! I dont like the idea of choc malt in an IPA.

WOnder if anybody will fault me for not knowing exactly how I made it?ie I dont have a freegin clue what some of the hops are....

you think throwing a few hop pellets along would get-er-done

Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Choco malt was at most a few oz for color. I wanted a deep red malty but very dry hop bomb. I got it down to 1.009 by mashing at 149 for 90 minutes. I love it. This is your brew though. I like the idea of the constant additions and mixing the hops. I sure it will be unique.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

ok, I might try it. (the choc malt) I'm not looking for a DFH 120 min, just something super hoppy. I'll experiment around & see what I come up with. You think a lower mash temp & longer time would help on this type of adventure?

I know I have Liberty, Halletru, Norther Brewer, Willamette, Warrior, Cascade, Fuggles, E. Kent Goldings, and at least 4 or 5 more types unknown.

I'm kinda stoked to do this. I guess if its too much of a hop bomb I can blend with another batch of IPA I made that just wasnt as hoppy as I like.

sweet. thanks. Anybody else got suggestions?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Go with the IPA and make sure you save some of the fresher ones for dry hopping.