Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Moving- Brew or Stop

Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
NJTomatoguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Moving- Brew or Stop

I have decided to sell my house, and move closer to my family. I do not want to move a bunch of beer, but would like to continue brewing. It is sort of expected that when i show up, I'll have a few beers for friends and family to sample.

Has anyone moved with beer? I am guessing what is already bottled will be fine after a few days settled into the new house, but am concerned about the fermenters.

This wil be a one way move about 1 hr away. Throwing away all furniture, buying new stuff and having it delivered to new house. The plan is to rent a U-haul type truck, and whatever doesn't fit in the truck doesn't go.

Should I stop now, drink what I got, and start again when I get there?

Or, keep brewing, and have everything bottled before I go

What would you do?

This could happen as early as next month, or as late as early summer.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2976 Posts
Likes Given: 28

1 hour should be perfectly fine. I would just make sure that fermentation has died down and put solid stoppers on them and secure them so tehy dont fall over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

kegs work great for transporting beer. if you don't already keg now this might be the impetus you were looking for!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I moved (8 hrs) all the stuff in bottles with no problem I wouldnt have moved anything in a carboy or bucket though. I wouldnt even move it an hr if it waqsn't bottled to much chance it gets sloshed and aerates.
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john from dc View Post
kegs work great for transporting beer. if you don't already keg now this might be the impetus you were looking for!
Gotta agree with that. Kegs are perfect for this. It's a great excuse as far as I'm concerned. Buy more kegs or start kegging. This is your in.

What's tappening? :D

Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Won't hurt for it to slosh as long as it has a nice Co2 blanket over it an an airlock. (So after/during primary fermentation, before racking to a secondary)

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just out of curiosity, would transporting a full keg violate open container laws? Certainly it won't be open, but also it's not sealed by manufacturer. I always get nervous when I take home empty bottles that people have saved for me. I would hate to get pulled over, and try to explain a case of empty bottles.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehoursfree View Post
Just out of curiosity, would transporting a full keg violate open container laws? Certainly it won't be open, but also it's not sealed by manufacturer. I always get nervous when I take home empty bottles that people have saved for me. I would hate to get pulled over, and try to explain a case of empty bottles.
I doubt that a keg violates the law and i am sure the cop would understand if you are in a state that is legal to homebrew in
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I stopped brewing before we moved because I like to primary my beers for a long time. If it's going to be more than a month, I say get whatever you can brewed and kegged, because you're not going to have spare time for a while after you move. It took me a month to have time to brew after we moved, I was going to brew the weekend we went house shopping, so I had a 3 month "vacation" and the pipeline is slowly filling back up 5 months later.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
pirate504
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure I would want to move and try to brew at the same time. moving can be a big undertaking just by itself. finished beer is one thing, but no way I would choose to move with still fermenting beer IMO.

I recall moving just from one apartment to another across town and by the time I factor in packing, transporting, unpacking, cleaning the place, ectera, ectera between getting the first box packed until the time we got settled into the new place was nearly a month ...and thats before the wife and I had all the shait we have now We are in a house now and I dont even like the thought of picking up and moving anytime soon I would need a month just to prep before I even started