Bourbon barrel porter - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon barrel porter

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
nyer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Bourbon Barrel Porter - All Grain Kit
OG: 1065 / Ready: 2 months

Mike Ward, NB's shipping manager, devised this recipe by adding bourbon-infused oak cubes (plus the bourbon) to a stronger-than-average robust porter. Cryptic tasting notes indicate that this may have been the best beer ever. You supply the bourbon; Mike recommends Maker's Mark. The intense aroma and flavor of toasted American oak and the sweet graininess of good bourbon meld with the bittersweet roastiness of porter to make for a very characterful beer.

Inventory | Mashing & Sparging Instructions

ProMash: Summary | .REC

$35.24

On a previous post I mentioned that I made this all grain kit from northern brewer and a few people were interested in knowing how well it turned out.
I ended up using approx. 12 oz. of makers mark bourbon, I think the recipe called for 14 oz. I bought the smaller bottle of bourbon and it converted to about 12 oz. I let it sit in secondary with the oak chips for 9 days and then bottled it yesterday. I tried a sample and it is wonderful, I could easily drink it uncarbonated. The bourbon gives it a nice nutty flavor and the oak is smooth and mellow. I love lots of oak in wine so I probably would have preferred leaving it on the oak at least another week. I let my wife decide when she thought the oak was just right. I can't wait to open a bottle when it's fully carbed. This is definately a great beer and I'm already planning to brew this again soon.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Austin_
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I recently bottled the extract version of this. I used 16 oz. of Jack. I agree about drinking it flat. I got kind of tipsy drinking samples while I was bottling. It's looking to be a very good beer. I am also planning on brewing it again.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
nyer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_LSU View Post
I recently bottled the extract version of this. I used 16 oz. of Jack. I agree about drinking it flat. I got kind of tipsy drinking samples while I was bottling. It's looking to be a very good beer. I am also planning on brewing it again.
How long did you leave your's on the oak chips?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Austin_
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Nashville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
How long did you leave your's on the oak chips?
Right at two weeks.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Austin_
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Nashville, TN

I should also add that I used a WLP007 Dry English ale yeast cake from a previous brew instead of the Wyeast #1728 Scottish Ale Yeast that comes with the kit.