Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Suggestions on a good Irish Red

Old 11-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
bell0347
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Suggestions on a good Irish Red

Hi, I browsed the recipe data bank and found several for an Irish Red Ale. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good partial mash Irish Red or one off the list that you have personal experience with. I have a 24qt. brew pot so It has to be a 3.5 gallon boil and looking for a 5 -6 gallon batch size. This will only be my second batch to brew so nothing too crazy. I've sat in on a couple of brew sessions and have a couple of good books so I think I have a pretty good understanding of the basic techniques. I aint skeerd!

Thanks for any input!

Brian

Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell0347 View Post
Hi, I browsed the recipe data bank and found several for an Irish Red Ale. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good partial mash Irish Red or one off the list that you have personal experience with. I have a 24qt. brew pot so It has to be a 3.5 gallon boil and looking for a 5 -6 gallon batch size. This will only be my second batch to brew so nothing too crazy. I've sat in on a couple of brew sessions and have a couple of good books so I think I have a pretty good understanding of the basic techniques. I aint skeerd!

Thanks for any input!

Brian
You mention having a few good books. I would recommend, Brewing Classic Styles, by Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer. The recipes are award winning and cover I believe all styles of beer.

They are set up as extract brews and yet offer an all grain option for each recipe.

I now almost only brew the recipes from this book with the exception of my house beer. It is borrowed from our own Ed Wort and it is his Haus Ale.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Yeah, +1 to "Brewing Classic Styles". I'm at work so I don't have my copy to hand, but there is a recipe for an Irish Red Ale in there which I'm sure someone can post up for you.