My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station... - Page 31 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #301
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer, God willing.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Stuntman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Houston, TX
Posts: 5,283
Liked 101 Times on 101 Posts


My Dewalt 24v can almost get 21 lbs on one charged battery, seems like I switch it for last two or so pounds. I have an old electric (small) it about goes up in flames after just 40 secs of grinding. It is really old, and small though.


__________________
If I had a nickel for every beer I drank....I would be retired already.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #302
rico567
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Central IL
Posts: 3,019
Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts


I thought about using my Hitachi battery powered drill, but there wasn't any good reason. I'm using the pictured antique Craftsman 1/2" 110V drill, which is geared so that it has plenty of power to run the Corona mill. Gets pretty warm by the time I go through 15 pounds of grist, though:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...on-corona5.jpg


__________________
“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #303
RichBenn
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Tahoe
Posts: 811
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmantoo View Post
My Dewalt 24v can almost get 21 lbs on one charged battery, seems like I switch it for last two or so pounds. I have an old electric (small) it about goes up in flames after just 40 secs of grinding. It is really old, and small though.
Yeah, my Mikita is very old, wearing out a newer but old technology battery, which is probably alot of the problem. Enough torque with the right RPM is the story. Most small electrics have a high RPM and/or a cheap speed controller with not much torque - not the best combo for this application, IMHO. I was kinda lucky on my HF right angle drill - it's geared down for lower rpm applications and has alot of torque, as it's the same as what is used on their grinders. One of those cheap, throwaway buys for a single problem and it turns out to actually hold up for other applications...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #304
RichBenn
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Tahoe
Posts: 811
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I thought about using my Hitachi battery powered drill, but there wasn't any good reason. I'm using the pictured antique Craftsman 1/2" 110V drill, which is geared so that it has plenty of power to run the Corona mill. Gets pretty warm by the time I go through 15 pounds of grist, though:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...on-corona5.jpg
LOL, your stand looks like mine!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #305
like2brew
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
southern maine
Posts: 58

subscribed

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #306
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer, God willing.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Stuntman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Houston, TX
Posts: 5,283
Liked 101 Times on 101 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
Yeah, my Mikita is very old, wearing out a newer but old technology battery, which is probably alot of the problem. Enough torque with the right RPM is the story. Most small electrics have a high RPM and/or a cheap speed controller with not much torque - not the best combo for this application, IMHO. I was kinda lucky on my HF right angle drill - it's geared down for lower rpm applications and has alot of torque, as it's the same as what is used on their grinders. One of those cheap, throwaway buys for a single problem and it turns out to actually hold up for other applications...
Yeah, the lower gear, wide open in one hand. A cold HB in the other! My Dewalt is pretty new at this point, but I guess that it needs to be put in the budget for making beer. I plan on using it a WHOLE lot!
__________________
If I had a nickel for every beer I drank....I would be retired already.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #307
reptileszz
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
connecticut
Posts: 3

Hi guys, thanks for all the help and your patience with my odd request of a couple of weeks ago... dog food, grinders and roaches oh my! My husband found a grinder similar to y'all's at a car swap meet last week for THREE BUCKS. I wasnt sure it would work but the "bread crumber" attachment works just fine. Its a workout grinding it up but it sure beats the tiny electric coffee grinder I was using!

Thanks again!
Carole (and the roaches)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #308
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileszz View Post
Hi guys, thanks for all the help and your patience with my odd request of a couple of weeks ago... dog food, grinders and roaches oh my! My husband found a grinder similar to y'all's at a car swap meet last week for THREE BUCKS. I wasnt sure it would work but the "bread crumber" attachment works just fine. Its a workout grinding it up but it sure beats the tiny electric coffee grinder I was using!

Thanks again!
Carole (and the roaches)
Good job Carole!!! Glad we could help you and your little friends.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #309
Joe C
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Gate City
Posts: 1,020
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Here is the sexiest Corona mill ever:


That's right. 45 degree cut on the end of it, and it's long enough that I can put my leg on one side and my arm on the other to stabilize. the 45 degree cut is where I rest my foot.

Tin foil covers the area where the grain drops, and i bend it so that the grain doesn't go everywhere.
__________________
Sláinte
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #310
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 9,360
Liked 1299 Times on 995 Posts


Try a longer board for more leverage while grinding...nice floor btw.

A corona mill that actually says "Corona", oh my!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain Mill - Is corona mill same as meat grinder? aeonderdonk Equipment/Sanitation 16 06-16-2012 02:51 AM
Corona Mill Dude Equipment/Sanitation 44 05-12-2009 10:37 AM
Let's see your ugly junk Short Drive Home Brewing Photo Forum 44 12-05-2007 07:45 PM
Corona Mill Gap Sea Equipment/Sanitation 3 11-16-2007 09:51 AM


Forum Jump