Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #281
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I got two Victoria knockoffs from Discount Tommy. I could "fix" the plate on one of them by jamming the pin in further and bending the end of it. The second one isn't going to be as easy. The pin hole is a lot further back, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.
My one and only has/had the same problem. My solution once I made the error of pulling out the cotter pin was to machine another hole perpendicular to the original & further up the shaft (ever so slightly further up the shaft). I also had to wallow out the grooves that the pin/bolt fits through on the washer like piece. Just my experience... though it does work fine now!

Schlante,
Phillip

Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #282
reptileszz
Recipes 

Default REALLY stupid question

Hi all, pardon the intrusion... I dont actually brew my own beer. I was looking for info on grain mills and came across this forum.

I have need to grind up dry dog food. Would this mill work for this purpose? Or would dry dog food be too much for it? How much does the hopper hold?

Thank you very much for any input and again, sorry to be a pest.

Carole

Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #283
Grimtas
Recipes 

My Ugly Junk

Old 10-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #284
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileszz View Post
Hi all, pardon the intrusion... I dont actually brew my own beer. I was looking for info on grain mills and came across this forum.

I have need to grind up dry dog food. Would this mill work for this purpose? Or would dry dog food be too much for it? How much does the hopper hold?

Thank you very much for any input and again, sorry to be a pest.

Carole
I don't know if you'll come back Carole, but as to if it will work for your purpose, I'm not sure. How small do you need to grind the dog food up to? These mills are mostly used to grind grain and corn into flour, what we do in brewing is slightly modify the gap in the grinding heads to instead of turning the grain 100% to flour, we aim more to crush the grain, basically just opening the hills a bit so we can convert starch to sugar. Actually we strive for 1/3 flour 1/3 open and 1/3 shredded (sort of)

I keep thinking that if you ran dry dog food it would probably end up more like "flour" than anything else. I actually would think that if you were looking to just break the pieces into smaller bits, a good strong food processor would work better, especially using short bursts.

But if you are looking for bits that look like the pictures of the "crushes" we show like in the one below your post, then maybe it would work. Lord knows these are strong enough to handle the job, these puppies are haeavy cast iron.

it's just a matter of would it break them into the size you need.

As to the size of the hopper, if you look at some of the pics you can see that the size of the hopper can be made almost unlimited. People often invert a 3 or 5 gallon water jug and cut off the bottom and set that inside the original hopper and fill several pounds of grain in it to grind, and like I did, I used a bit of drain pipe. So size is really a matter of what you can rig up.

If you want to give us more detail about what your trying to do to the dogfood, let us know. You're not being a pest at all.

You know...If you can lay your hands on one of these relatively cheap, and if you tried it and it didn't work out, I bet we on here could find someone on this site near enough to you who would be willing to buy it off you. We get folks asking on here all the time if anyone has one for sale. So think about that too.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #285
Revvy

Recipes 

Grimtas your wood work is too pretty to be called "ugly junk" it looks great!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #286
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5018 Times on 2991 Posts
Likes Given: 4192

Thought you guys would like to know that Charlie Papazian has used a corona mill all these years. That guy is still very old-school. Heard him say so in a podcast

Old 10-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #287
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Thought you guys would like to know that Charlie Papazian has used a corona mill all these years. That guy is still very old-school. Heard him say so in a podcast
Yeah, I say that in the very first post.....That's one of my counter arguments for all those "you HAVE to have a barley crusher" noobs.
Charlie get's 87% extract efficiency with his according to the basic brewing podcast.

Thanks for re-iterating that fact!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #288
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, I say that in the very first post.....That's one of my counter arguments for all those "you HAVE to have a barley crusher" noobs.
Charlie get's 87% extract efficiency with his according to the basic brewing podcast.

Thanks for re-iterating that fact!
Durn. Thought I added something new.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #289
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Durn. Thought I added something new.
But I think it can't be said enough actually. It's our best "ammunition."

Old 10-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #290
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But I think it can't be said enough actually. It's our best "ammunition."
I use a Schmidling Maltmill.