Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #111
nghtmre4u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tried mine the first time today.I ran a few hand fulls thru checking and got it where it looked better then my lhbs.
So i hooked up my drill and went thru the grain bill it looked pretty good better then the lhbs so i started my brew day.
Well I hit my temps just right and at the end of a smooth brewday my eff was only a 63% up 2% from lhbs.
I have gotten 75-78% with northern brewers crush but only like 60 at my lhbs.

Will the speed of the drill effect the crush i used a old drill that cant control the speed maybe a little to fast or schould I adjust the mill?
I am gonna try another batch tommorow hoping to get my eff up to 70-75 and I'll be happy.I know it will still be beer at 63% and still taste good just a little on the weaker side.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #112
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Over the next few brews, keep reducing the plate gap until you hit a point where you have trouble lautering (it's not a bad idea to have some rice hulls hanging around in case you go too far ). Once you hit that point back it off slightly. You should get far better efficiency than 63%. If you can get mid 70's with the NB crush, there's no reason your system can't get that [and higher] with the corona.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 AM   #113
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Thanks for answering Brad....I'm still waay to nooby to be able to handle any questions about this...I still haven't dialed mine in completely yet....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #114
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply's.Gonna try another brew tomorrow or Thursday. I will adjust it and see how it goes and then I'll post some pics of my station.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:44 AM   #115
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Good method Brad.

On my last batch I made some "improvements" to my corona mill. I finally got around to cutting a hole in the base for the milled grain to fall through. Then I built a hopper out of cardboard and masking tape to funnel it through the hole.

In the process I must have knocked the plates out of range a bit. My efficiency dropped 5 points.

That part was disappointing but the grinding itself was fun. Took less than 5 minutes for 14 lbs.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 AM   #116
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
...Then I built a hopper out of cardboard and masking tape to funnel it through the hole...
You can't tell us that and not post a picture.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #117
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul View Post
You can't tell us that and not post a picture.
I would, but I'm kind of embarrassed. My junk is too ugly even for this thread.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #118
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Over the next few brews, keep reducing the plate gap until you hit a point where you have trouble lautering (it's not a bad idea to have some rice hulls hanging around in case you go too far ). Once you hit that point back it off slightly. You should get far better efficiency than 63%. If you can get mid 70's with the NB crush, there's no reason your system can't get that [and higher] with the corona.
I had another thought about this method of tuning in. When I was tuning in I always thought "that must be TOO fine" and then when I lautered it did just fine. I actually never went to the point where it got stuck. I just took it to the point where my efficiency was reliably and predictably at between 80 and 82%. The point is that I think grinds can go a lot finer than most LHBS' go with theirs with no ill effects.

I figure that any points I add at this point have to be weighed against the greater risk of shredding the hulls too fine and the problems that might create versus saving maybe $.50 total on my grain bill.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #119
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I had another thought about this method of tuning in. When I was tuning in I always thought "that must be TOO fine" and then when I lautered it did just fine. I actually never went to the point where it got stuck. I just took it to the point where my efficiency was reliably and predictably at between 80 and 82%. The point is that I think grinds can go a lot finer than most LHBS' go with theirs with no ill effects.

I figure that any points I add at this point have to be weighed against the greater risk of shredding the hulls too fine and the problems that might create versus saving maybe $.50 total on my grain bill.
'Crush until you're scared' is the motto I used when I was dialing it in. It is definitely dependent upon the individual system how fine you can go though. I was able to get upwards of 89% on my system by the time I had to stop. No issues with tannins or anything either since that is affected far more by water temperature and pH.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #120
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
'Crush until you're scared' is the motto I used when I was dialing it in. It is definitely dependent upon the individual system how fine you can go though. I was able to get upwards of 89% on my system by the time I had to stop. No issues with tannins or anything either since that is affected far more by water temperature and pH.

I like the quote. It is a good motto to grind by. +1 to me never worrying about tannins either. This is another one of those bugaboos that is easily avoided by not oversparging.

I hit 87% once. Expecting 75%. I had to scramble to adjust hops on the fly. Since then I have just settled into my easy to duplicate 80% rhythm.