My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station... - Page 112 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #1111
camiller
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,902
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I *think* I've read about guys using big-rig windshield motors.
Yeah, you have read that in another thread here. So have I. I just don't have access to spare wiper motors from semi tractors. I think that the wiper motor that monsterguts sells for animating Halloween decorations might have enough oomph to do it. I just don't have a torque wrench to check how much torque it takes to turn the mill, with grain in it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #1112
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Yeah, you have read that in another thread here. So have I. I just don't have access to spare wiper motors from semi tractors. I think that the wiper motor that monsterguts sells for animating Halloween decorations might have enough oomph to do it. I just don't have a torque wrench to check how much torque it takes to turn the mill, with grain in it.
Here's a figure: A LOT. I conditioned my malt this weekend and the drill had a hard time starting (10A, 1/2" drill) on slow speed. Had to crank speed up to keep it going. Dry grain takes less, but it does take some beef on these since they're grinding rather than just squeezing.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #1113
camiller
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,902
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Here's a figure: A LOT. I conditioned my malt this weekend and the drill had a hard time starting (10A, 1/2" drill) on slow speed. Had to crank speed up to keep it going. Dry grain takes less, but it does take some beef on these since they're grinding rather than just squeezing.
Yeah, but when I turn it by hand it doesn't seem like it takes much force. I really want to figure out a way to get a rough measurement before I drop the coin on a motor that might not work. Hmmmm..... I have a digital handheld luggage scale. I could connect that to the handle of the mill and pull it around then do the math from there. That ought to get me close. I've also thought about taking the motor out of one of those harbor freight drills and figuring out a way to mount it. More ideas than time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #1114
rico567
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Central IL
Posts: 3,018
Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Yeah, you have read that in another thread here. So have I. I just don't have access to spare wiper motors from semi tractors. I think that the wiper motor that monsterguts sells for animating Halloween decorations might have enough oomph to do it. I just don't have a torque wrench to check how much torque it takes to turn the mill, with grain in it.
Those big semi wiper motors are readily available from junked trucks online....and it's not like I don't have a gigantic 12VDC power supply. It's just that I don't want the level of complexity that would go into that kind of installation.
__________________
“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #1115
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Yeah, but when I turn it by hand it doesn't seem like it takes much force. I really want to figure out a way to get a rough measurement before I drop the coin on a motor that might not work. Hmmmm..... I have a digital handheld luggage scale. I could connect that to the handle of the mill and pull it around then do the math from there. That ought to get me close. I've also thought about taking the motor out of one of those harbor freight drills and figuring out a way to mount it. More ideas than time.
I can break a bolt loose easier than my drill, too...but I tire faster
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #1116
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,536
Liked 1368 Times on 1047 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beernut70 View Post
I think I might add some sheetmetal at the screws in the bucket to reinforce it.

Looks to me like:

1. Homer bucket is thin plastic and maybe a bit flimsy
2. The screws look to close together, try spacing the screws as far apart as possible...even it you have to angle them and they will support the mill better.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #1117
beernut70
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 169
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Looks to me like:

1. Homer bucket is thin plastic and maybe a bit flimsy
2. The screws look to close together, try spacing the screws as far apart as possible...even it you have to angle them and they will support the mill better.
The homer bucket is pretty flimsy. I used deck screws which have a pretty small head and I am a bit worried they will pull through over time. I have some pan head screws to change them out with and maybe add some sheetmetal. The mill is supported ok I tried tipping the bucket and everything and it doesn't move.

I went with your design so if I get a water bottle for a hopper all I have to do is get a new lid.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #1118
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BeardedIdiot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 525
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beernut70 View Post
The homer bucket is pretty flimsy. I used deck screws which have a pretty small head and I am a bit worried they will pull through over time. I have some pan head screws to change them out with and maybe add some sheetmetal. The mill is supported ok I tried tipping the bucket and everything and it doesn't move.

I went with your design so if I get a water bottle for a hopper all I have to do is get a new lid.
A couple of washers should be more than enough to keep them from tearing through the bucket.
__________________
Kegged: Octoberfest Ale
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone
Kegged: Bee-Cave Haus Pale Ale
Ready to Keg: Milk Stout
Primary: empty
On Deck: planning a Belgian Red Ale and another blonde ale for easy summer drinking.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #1119
beernut70
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 169
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts


Here is my revision. I didn't have any washers on hand small enough so I used some 24 GA sheet metal. Hemmed over the short sides so that when the screws tightened they wouldn't distort the metal and leave any sharp edges. This is so solid I could probably stand on the mill. Plus it adds some junk to it. ;-)


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #1120
EllisTX
 
EllisTX's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Booger County, Texas
Posts: 868
Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beernut70 View Post
Here is my revision. I didn't have any washers on hand small enough so I used some 24 GA sheet metal. Hemmed over the short sides so that when the screws tightened they wouldn't distort the metal and leave any sharp edges. This is so solid I could probably stand on the mill. Plus it adds some junk to it. ;-)

You've got my favorite tool next to your bucket there. I can do just about anything with a set of channel locks. I'm still just clamping my drill on a 2x4 and setting it on the top of a homer bucket. After revisiting this thread I'll have to change that.
__________________
"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain Mill - Is corona mill same as meat grinder? aeonderdonk Equipment/Sanitation 16 06-16-2012 02:51 AM
Corona Mill Dude Equipment/Sanitation 44 05-12-2009 10:37 AM
How about an ugly junk competition? Laughing_Gnome_Invisible General Chit Chat 11 01-13-2009 08:38 PM
Let's see your ugly junk Short Drive Home Brewing Photo Forum 44 12-05-2007 07:45 PM
Corona Mill Gap Sea Equipment/Sanitation 3 11-16-2007 09:51 AM


Forum Jump