SuBourbon Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
??
Color
??
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Mildly sweet stout with a little oak
Soaked 1.5 oz of Heavy Toasted Oak Chips in about 1/2 cup of Jim Beam Black Bourbon for about 1 month.

Ingredients:
6.6 lbs NW Gold LME
.5 lb Honey Malt
.5lb Roasted Barley
.5lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Crystal Malt 40
1lb Flaked Oats
.5lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Brown Sugar
1084 Wyeast Irish Ale
2 oz Fuggle Hops

Steep all grains @155 for 30 minutes and rinse bag with hot water

Bring to boil, remove from heat and stir in all LME

Place back on heat and add 1 oz. of Fuggle Hops

Boil for 30 minutes and add 1oz. of Fuggle Hops

Add 1lb of Brown Sugar at flame out

Cooled to 83 degrees and added yeast in primary

Primary @ 70 degrees for 3 weeks

Secondary - Added 1.5 oz of Soaked Oak Chips, sat for 2 weeks @ 67 degrees

I've had it bottled since Oct 26 and the first one i opened about two weeks ago when a buddy came up. So far in my amateur opinion, it kicks ass. I think the body could be a little heavier, but i think the flavors are right on track for what i was shooting for. Maybe a little sweet for some, and next time i'll try for more body and more coffee tones.

My Beersmith demo ran out, so I'm not sure of IBU or official color, but I think my alc% seems to be about 5.65% and I was trying to make it a bit higher, so more LME or grains I guess.

--After letting it age for another month or so, I like it even more. The bourbon and oak are very mild, but add a little complexity and sweetness. Doesn't seem as sweet now, just mellow, malty, and smooth. Reworked the numbers and got IBU around 28, SRM around 32.

I brewed this recipe last weekend and wound up with an OG lower than I expected (1.045). :confused: I'm suspecting I should have used two grain bags instead of one. On the bright side, fermentation took off with in a few hours and remained vigorous for the first three days before slowing down.

Anyone else have experience with this recipe? Also, any suggestions on a beer to reuse the yeast from the primary?

I racked to the secondary today in preparation for tomorrow's brewing. Probably should have asked first, but too late now. Did you put the oak chips into the secondary before or after racking? I did it before racking and they mostly stayed on the bottom, despite efforts to rectify afterwards. What did you do and how did your chips behave?

There is a second factor that may have affected situation. I forgot to put the u-trap on the end of my siphon so I got a bit more of the primary yeast cake into the secondary than usual. I'm not overly concerned since this is an extract brew and I used hop pellets so there really isn't much trube. Your thoughts?:confused:

I drank my test bottle today after a week - no complaints here at all. The way the first bottle is hitting me right now, I think I made an error on the OG reading. No way this weighs in at the 4% neighborhood. The brew reminded my of a Mackeson XXX Stout but with the added oak & bourbon flavors. Looking forward to how this ages over the next several months.

Props to Hophead75 on this recipe. Clearly something I will make again in the future. Thanks again, Hophead!:mug:

Just placed third with this in a local competition under Wood Aged category. Apparently it ages well, this was still out of the original batch.

Great news! I never found a local contest but I'm down to my last bottle of the stuff. Fortunately its a 22-oz bomber size. The brew was a hit with the neighbors, especially the Aussies.

Try the following, if you like a wicked stout:

Alt Platz Mitey Broo (OG 1.112, IBU 26, SRM 82.6, 11.2% ABV)
13lbs Dark LME
1.5 bls Chocolate Malt (steep w/ Carafa)
0.75 lbs Carafa I (steep w/ Chocolate)
1.5 lbs Crystal 120 (steep separate)
1 lb Red Wheat (full boil, 45 minutes)

2.5 oz Hallertau (45 min)
1 oz Tettnang (45 min)

2 packages Safale US-05 Yeast, pitch / ferment at 75 - 85 F

Special Instructions (verbatim from LHBS): Steep chocolate and crystal in separate bags but at the same time in 165 F for 40 min. The chocolate and carafa can be in the safe bag. Steep the red wheat at boil and keep it in until boil is complete. Stire your extract in slowly so as not to scorch, until dissolved. Boil for 45 minutes - no longer. Add all hops at start of boil - no finishing hops and cool to pitching rate. Ferment 75 - 85F (Yes, listen to what is posted - forget what you have heard) until complete-about 14 days. Rack into bottle or keg and purge all O2 off the keg. Cold store at 36 F for 1-2 months and drink until finished.

The stuff is evil! You won't be disappointed.:drunk:

11.2% I better check my Man Card before I think about brewing that one. Looks real good from here though, I wrote that one down for the next dark brew.

Make sure to add some 2 row to this if you want those oats and barley to convert. I suspect that's why the op didn't hit his OG. If you add a few pounds of 2 row you should have a tasty brew!

Back