bourbon barrel aged double bastard - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > bourbon barrel aged double bastard

Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Feb 2008
california
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OHHHHH ive wanted to do this for a while and have been saving up some money for it.

would the best way to go about bourbon oaking a 5 gallon batch be about 3oz of chips that are soaked in bourbon for a week or two? how does this go, and how long should i let it age in the chips? thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Austin_

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I used two ounces of oak cubes in the secondary for two weeks. Then when I bottled I added in straight Jack (about 16 oz.). Taste delicious so far (only in obttle for a few weeks now. I haven't really tasted it lately). Others have gone your route by soaking the chips in bourbon and then adding it into the secondary for a few weeks. It's kind of up to your personal preference.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Feb 2008
california
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks, thats helped a lot.

anybody else have experience with this?

-manbearpig

Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Some folks have had good luck with using Jack Daniel Oak smoking chips soaked in more jack fort a couple weeks...I have my Brown ale sitting with some right now...there's a huge amount of info on different oaking strategies...I did a search and found several great threads two weeks ago...that's how I decided on the smoking chips...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew