IPA Recipe? Hop Devil or Two Hearted... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IPA Recipe? Hop Devil or Two Hearted...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
West Michigan
Posts: 503
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts



Anybody have a good extract IPA recipe similar to Victory Hop Devil or Bell's Two Hearted?



 
Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Southwood
 
Southwood's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 175

Not sure about Hop Devil, but my impression of Two Hearted is a pretty straightforward American IPA with Centennial hops from end to end (love those Centennials). I can't imagine this would be awful:

Three Hearted Ale Extract Kit -- Kit Inventory Sheet

Looks delicious, but 5 oz of hops in 5 gallons... ouch!

Happy brewing


__________________
Primaries: Centennial IPA
Conditioning: Duseldorf Altbier, '07 Barleywine
On-tap: Dunkelweizen
Also pouring: Weizen-bock, Solstice Ale '06

 
Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #3
desertbronze
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Posts: 385
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


That Three-Hearted kit looks really good - I have never drank a Two Hearted ale but I have enjoyed several batches of homebrew done with all Centennial hops. YUMMY!!!

 
Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
noremorse1
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 256
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


This is a Two-Hearted recipe I tweaked myself. If you do not want to do a mini-mash, replace the 2-Row with an additional 2 pounds of LME. You will still need to steep the Crystal 40 though. However, I have found that the 2-row reduces any extract "twang" and gives it a much fresher taste. It also adds a few gravity points

This is a mini-mash

3 pounds American 2 Row
1 pound Crystal 40
7 pounds Gold LME

1 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Centennial 20 min
2 oz Centennial 5 min
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop

Yeast: Safale US-05 or Danstar Nottingham

Mash at 152f for 60 minutes. Ferment at 62 degrees for 7-10 days. Transfer to secondary, add dry hops. Rack in 7-10 days to keg or bottling vessel.

OG at 75% Efficiency for 5 gallons is 1.070
IBU's 78.4
__________________
Next Up - Beer
Primary - T.H.E (The Hell Em) Session Pale Ale
Secondary -
Kegged - Heart of Darkness Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottled - American IIPA, English IIPA

 
Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
West Michigan
Posts: 503
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Well, this is what I'm going to go with... thoughts?

AMERICAN IPA

1 lb crushed crystal malt 60L - Steep at 155-160 for 20 minutes

3 lbs Pale DME at 60 min
1.5 oz. Centennial (9%) at 60 Min
0.5 Centennial (9%) & 0.5 Oz UK First Gold (8.1%) at 15 min
1 oz UK FG (8.1%) at 5 min
4 lbs Amber DME at knockout

11.5 grams Safale US-05

1-2 weeks primary (TBD)
2-4 weeks secondary with 0.5 oz UK FG (8.1%) dry hopped for last 5 days.

OG - 1.062
FG - ~1.016
IBU's - 69.9

 
Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
desertbronze
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Posts: 385
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I have no experience with UK First Gold hops, but the IBU level looks good for an IPA. Go for it.

 
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
noremorse1
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 256
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
Well, this is what I'm going to go with... thoughts?

AMERICAN IPA

1 lb crushed crystal malt 60L - Steep at 155-160 for 20 minutes

3 lbs Pale DME at 60 min
1.5 oz. Centennial (9%) at 60 Min
0.5 Centennial (9%) & 0.5 Oz UK First Gold (8.1%) at 15 min
1 oz UK FG (8.1%) at 5 min
4 lbs Amber DME at knockout

11.5 grams Safale US-05

1-2 weeks primary (TBD)
2-4 weeks secondary with 0.5 oz UK FG (8.1%) dry hopped for last 5 days.

OG - 1.062
FG - ~1.016
IBU's - 69.9
Yeah. It is awesome when someone posts asking for help/suggestions and, after a few people take the time to do so, they just do what they were going to do anyways without taking any of that to heart and/or posting comments about our suggestions.

Your recipe looks good. Should be pretty hoppy. Holding back the bulk of the extract till the end will deff help your hop utilization. Thats what I would recommend with the recipe I posted... but I just thought that was assumed so I didnt specify. Not sure about the FG for your dry-hop as I have never dry hopped with first gold. However, I would just add a full ounce.
__________________
Next Up - Beer
Primary - T.H.E (The Hell Em) Session Pale Ale
Secondary -
Kegged - Heart of Darkness Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottled - American IIPA, English IIPA

 
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Grinder12000's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Posts: 2,995
Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts


I just did a Two Hearted Ale from AHS but they switched out the Centennial for Amarillo.

Straight forward AND - not high ABV.

That recipe - why so long in teh secondary??

ANYWAY

Quote:
Looks delicious, but 5 oz of hops in 5 gallons... ouch!
I have a recipe for an IIPA that uses 16 oz of hops for a 5 gallon batch!!
__________________
Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

 
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,133
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts


You'll have to convert this to extract, but this recipe made a darn good clone of Two-Hearted Ale. This isn't my recipe, btw. I got it from somewhere else.

11 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
8 oz Crystal 10
6 oz Crystal 40
8 oz carapils
1 oz centennial 60 minutes
.66 oz centennial 45 minutes
.66 oz centennial 30 minutes
.66 oz centennial 15 minutes
WLP001 (White Laps Cal Ale)

1 oz centennial for dry hop

OG 1.063, FG 1.012, Calculated IBU's 61.3

I didn't do a side by side but I've had a lot of Two-Hearted, and this seemed pretty close.
__________________
Tap 1:Traditional Bock
Tap 2:Robust Porter
Tap 3:California Common
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

 
Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
West Michigan
Posts: 503
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by noremorse1 View Post
Yeah. It is awesome when someone posts asking for help/suggestions and, after a few people take the time to do so, they just do what they were going to do anyways without taking any of that to heart and/or posting comments about our suggestions.

Your recipe looks good. Should be pretty hoppy. Holding back the bulk of the extract till the end will deff help your hop utilization. Thats what I would recommend with the recipe I posted... but I just thought that was assumed so I didnt specify. Not sure about the FG for your dry-hop as I have never dry hopped with first gold. However, I would just add a full ounce.
I personally love people that respond to a 2 day old post with the absolute answer, then get p%&^(ssed off when the original poster responds with their intended plan.... imagine that, I didn't wait until GOD spoke to me with the answer. None came after 2 days, so I came up with a plan, bought some ingredients, and thought I'd post it for last minute comments.

Then along comes GOD... I mean noremorse1. Thank You.

To all the others that helped without b&*^tching... thanks.




 
Closed Thread
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe flyangler18 Recipes/Ingredients 202 04-02-2013 03:28 PM
Bells Two Hearted IPA Recipe - comments? Danek Recipes/Ingredients 33 07-29-2011 04:40 PM
Converting AG Two Hearted IPA Recipe to Mini-Mash gutterman Extract Brewing 5 06-10-2009 05:15 PM
Bell's two-hearted ale questions/recipe syvmn All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 10-20-2007 04:34 AM
Two Hearted Ale clone recipe opinions, please AiredAle Recipes/Ingredients 1 09-01-2007 07:34 PM


Forum Jump