Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Massive Strength Hard Cider

Old 12-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #31
JoeSponge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In trying to find out what the upper limit for Lv-118 was, I tripped across a post from another universe...

High Gravity and yeast stress...

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #32
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSponge View Post
Off the top of my head (thumbs being what they are), I guess 17.4% -- do you think your yeast will carry that far, Ted?
not sure, i would hope so... i knew i was heading into problems with HG in this brew... i would like to squeeze 18% out of this one but im not sure... it was kind of a Fug Around when i put in the ingredants and ended up mixing in as much as i could and hoping... this yeast is supposed to be extreamly tought and agressive, thats why i chose it for that reputation... i suppose that anything over 15% i will be happy to get as long as its not too sweet... i prefer dry cider... and this experiement was a first crack at at making a process in which a person could brew consistantly above 20%... im not there yet as is obvious... i guess i will have to keep trying... thanks for the number chrunching joe and the web sit... ran across that myself when i was worrying weather or not it would start at all, it didnt alay my fears but it is a good refrence for what im thinking... thanks

Still fermenting... still fementing, nothing out last the high ABV cider

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #33
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome, nice to see your experiment is working. Keep us updated, we brewers tend to forget to put the finished process in threads like these.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #34
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Awesome, nice to see your experiment is working. Keep us updated, we brewers tend to forget to put the finished process in threads like these.
nope havent forgotten, the subject code named "black gold"; named for the color of the liquid in the fermenter when the yeast was added. Has been in primary fermentation for 19 days(21 days since yeast added) ...

the first 2 days no fermenation was noted, on day three limited frementation was finally noticed. Fermentation became constant on December 2nd and that is the day i have counted fermentation from. On day 5 (december 7th) vigoris fermenation was noted and for the next 3-5 days the airlock was regularlly empited and refilled with clean water and ablow off tube was added. Fermentation steadied and with out incident for the nest 12 days. 13 days into primary fermentation the regular foam of fermentation began to disipate and rate of fermentation slowed to a much slower level. In an effort to keep fermentation as strong as possiable and as long as possiable the fermenter was insulatied and heated to a constant rate with a common heating pad and electirc blanket. Fermenter currently maintains a tempature of just over 70f degrees and fermenation has stablized and partical foam has returned to the fermenter, but not as much as was noted between days 10-11.

Things that need to be done;

check current SG. I have been putting this off because i fear even moving the fermenter or draining off a sample for testing will cause dammage to the yeast which will cause premature flameout... on another two weeks of fermentation before testing is required.

Require a glass carboy for secondary for long term fermentation and possaible bulk ageing purpose.... will actully likely bottle condition for sevral months thinking that i will rack into glass carboy and add more sugar to boost ABV in a second fermentation (this will liekly be required and difficult because i atleast expect an ABV when rected into the glass carboy of 10-15%, which if combined with any SG say over 1.050 will not likely allow fermentation to continue properly if at all) Fermentation will be continued if possiable until late feb-early march at which time reguardless of ABV the cider will be bottled and set to condition for 3 months. The tested for potablity, if applicable half the batch will be put into cericulation and the other half will be left for an additional 3 months. If not considered potable at that time besed on many factors, the cider will be left sit an addition month then test again and so on until considered potable, and then remaining stock will be slip half for drink and half for ageing an additional 3 months....

Thats the plan... right now its just a plan, but the fermentater sure smells good

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #35
blackwater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm Excited about your project and totally confused. I just started a 55 gallon barrel. Filled it with 50 lbs of sugar, yeast and yeast nutrients and after 3-4 weeks it's hardly bubbling any more. Should I add sugar to get it going again or just let it be for 3 months? Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Chris

Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #36
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

You should only add more sugar to get it going again if you want more alcohol. However if it truly stopped fermenting and you still have sugar left in the brew, then adding sugar will do nothing. You need to look into restarting a stuck fermentation, such as repitching with a starter, or changing the temperature or aeration, all depending on where it is in the fermentation cycle. It may just be done fermenting, and you just need to let it age and clear.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #37
blackwater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well I guess it's time to go to the brew store and buy some tools to measure whats going on. Thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #38
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
well I guess it's time to go to the brew store and buy some tools to measure whats going on. Thanks

yes good idea

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #39
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
I'm Excited about your project and totally confused. I just started a 55 gallon barrel. Filled it with 50 lbs of sugar, yeast and yeast nutrients and after 3-4 weeks it's hardly bubbling any more. Should I add sugar to get it going again or just let it be for 3 months? Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Chris
50 lbs of sugar in 55 gallons of liquid will give you a OG of less than 1.045. That should finish out pretty quickly. When you get your Hydrometer take a reading and let us know what it is at.
Was it water or Juice?
On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Old 01-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #40
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaglia View Post
50 lbs of sugar in 55 gallons of liquid will give you a OG of less than 1.045. That should finish out pretty quickly. When you get your Hydrometer take a reading and let us know what it is at.
Was it water or Juice?
how do you figure? thats almost a pound of sugar per gallon. i would say it would be closer to 1.80

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.