Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew after an infection.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
timgman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew after an infection.

I'm not certain what step infected my brew last time. I simply don't want to reenact the whole thing. So.... I have a few questions.

1 should I throw out the bottles?
2 can I use the auto siphon (at the point of bottling) or get a new one?
3 should I re-use the fermenter? or use a different one?

I'm going to use starsan (I always do) and sanitize the hell out of everything...
I wonder if my bottle filler is to blame?

geesh this sucks.
timg

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
timgman
Recipes 

sorry to be so negative but I have 2 kids and a wife that keep me busy.. and a job from hell.
I don't have the option to brew every weekend like others....

tag

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I wouldn't just arbitrarily throw anything out, but would go a few extra lengths to ensure proper sanitization. I would soak and scrub everything in PBW very well, then soak overnight in StarSan. Make sure you are properly measuring the StarSan and not just dumping a bunch of concentrate in water. No sense in wasting it, but you have to make sure the concentration is correct so the PH is low enough to kill the nasties.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Pelikan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you had an infection last time around, sanitized the equipment in question with a 1:10 solution of unscented bleach and water (unscented bleach can be found in any grocery store; it's the absolute cheapest of the cheap bargain brand). Star San is generally effective, and I use it all the time, but if I ever did run into an infection I'd be cleaning everything with a bleach solution to be sure.

As the other gentleman said, no need to thrown anything away. Just make double and triple sure you've got it well-cleaned. Next time around, be very mindful of sanitation techniques. The nasties are everywhere.