My newly discovered bottle storage unit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so tell me, (I'm new), when keeping in bottles, how hot can they get before being effected? If this was in my garage, in houston, in summertime..

Should I be safe and keep cabinet inside?

so tell me, (I'm new), when keeping in bottles, how hot can they get before being effected? If this was in my garage, in houston, in summertime..

That's a good question. Another noobie here and it's 101* with a 106* heat index in my garage. When do bottles pop?

i've been using them for a while. mine is standard letter size and holds 4 - 6 packs loosely. 12" x 18" and 10 5/8" height. another cabinet has 11" height.
none of my 22 oz bottles fit, but i have a 20 oz one that does.and i store EZ-caps in there, too. i sometimes put in blocks of foam to keep them from rattling around and tipping over.
(how did all these traditional bottle sizes come about anyway?)

Yes I'm still using that same cabinet and it works great. I just loaded a drawer full yesterday after bottling a batch. Now what I really want to get next is a lateral file something like this:

LF.jpg

Ponders how to store many batches of beer.
Checks the Homebrewtalk forums.
Glances to immediate right->
begins to wonder where to put his paper files.

I literally have this same Steelcase right next to my desk-BRILLIANT!

Just picked up this 3-drawer 42" wide lateral file at the Herman Miller factory outlet store for a STEAL at $40. Works awesome!

Of course my boy Frankie just had to get in the pictures...

lateral1.jpg

lateral2.jpg

they probably won't blow until long after they've gone bad from the heat i would imagine. maybe not at all. cooked beer makes good compost.

Bump
Now I know what to do with the two legal file cabinets that were in the basement when we moved into this house, one is a "fireproof" model with the concrete/cement walls so I know it won't tip over even if I manage to fill it with full bottles.

You have empty bottles? I never seem to have more than 5 gallons worth of empties........:mug:

My fulls keep turning into empties...it's a problem.

The girlfriend's company is relocating to a new building this week, and two file cabinets are up for grabs. Within a few days my existing beer high-rise condo will have some company, and all my bottles will finally have a home.

Forgot to mention that since seeing this thread I have picked up a filing cabinet from my local Goodwill for $10. It is a letter size and fits my normal bottling pattern of 1 case 22oz/1 case 12oz batch per drawer.

I just grabbed a 4 drawer letter size filing cabinet for $25 from craigslist. 22 oz bottles are just a hair too tall, but it fits 32 Grolsch Swing tops per drawer for a total of 128 pints or 16 gallons of beer per cabinet.

I am now going to drool looking at a file cabinet, knowing that there could be a half barrel worth of beer in there :D

Big bump for the idea of the decade. Working for a university, I have access to stupid amounts of surplus stuff just like this at crazy low prices. Guess where you'll find me rummaging about this weekend? Legal Sized Filing Cabinet Heaven here we come!

Just had to give this genius idea another bump. Tired of having cases lying around everywhere (ok the wife wanted the spare bedroom back). 10 cases of storage in a clean 30"X18" footprint? Can't go wrong for $15. Now I can say I love doing a little filing.

Great idea, heading to the goodwill to find one cheap!! I have been moving around my bottles for months trying to find the right spot to store them!! This is so perfect!! Thanks....

I'm really glad I saw this before my wife's upcoming garage sale. I had put a legal size file cabinet in with her garage sale stuff to get it out of my garage. After seeing this thread yesterday I moved it back into the garage. There is also a letter size cabinet but I might leave it in the discard pile. Thanks to the OP for what looks like a great idea for bottle storage.:mug:

Great idea!

Question: Did you attach it to the wall behind the cabinet? I have had cabinets that get tippy when the top drawer is heavy and opened to the full extent. I think many cabinets have mounting holes in the back that can be accessed when the top drawer is opened or removed.

It was really suck to have it tip over full o' bottle (empty or full).

This was my first visualization. Pull open the top drawer of full bottles and CRASH!!!!!!

This was my first visualization. Pull open the top drawer of full bottles and CRASH!!!!!!

Well as the OP (can't believe that was 8 years ago!) I can say that I haven't had that happen to me ever. Probably will depend on your filing cabinet though I suppose. I should also mention that I've been kegging for over half of that time and rarely do I store full bottles anymore. So as always - use at your own risk.

This is a fantastic idea OP...even if it has been that long ;) I'll definitely be stealing this idea. Even better considering I work from home. The missus will be none the wiser!

This is a fantastic idea OP...even if it has been that long ;) I'll definitely be stealing this idea. Even better considering I work from home. The missus will be none the wiser!

Great! Glad you can use the idea. It is one I am still quite proud of [hurts arm attempting to pat self on back] :D

To this day I keep clean empties in mine.

Back