Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Mugwort Anti-Imperial Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Mugwort Anti-Imperial Stout

Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
keesimps
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh yes, I definitely agree about the use of different herbs in beers like mugwort. I particularly notice that a lot of the herbs seem to increase the strength of the beer. My best yet was one that I used blue lotus flower in and you definitely felt the affects of that herb. But, I've also noticed altering effects with a lavender ale that I did.

Would like to comment on aging of mugwort in beers, but had both batches that I aged get a bacterial infection (I still think it also had something to do with the damn meadowsweet that I used in them as well)...

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Texas_Brew
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Houston, TEXAS

I'm definitely interested in these herbal beers yall speak of with different euphoric effects. ill have to look deeper in to this

Old 04-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Grinch
Recipes 

May 2010
Valparaiso, Indiana, Valparaiso, Indiana

Could you describe the taste? I like stouts, but does this come off with a medicine flavor? I'm really want to give this a shot but am a bit apprehensive.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
DrivewayBeer
Recipes 

Aug 2011
, CA

I have this cool book called sacred and herbal healing beers by stepen buhner

pretty cool. mugwort gives crazy dreams

Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
toastermm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Northern Rockies
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
At bottling, add Indian sarsaparilla and molasses to 1 qt water and boil 20 min. Bottle with oxygen-absorbing caps if possible.
I just made this and have an extra keg around. If I'm going to keg this beer, would you recommend doing the same (albeit less molasses?) and carbonate naturally in the keg?

If force carbonating, which I'm thinking I will do, what about making up a quart of molasses/sarsaparilla tea for a secondary for about a week?

The fermenter smells heavenly, I'm really excited.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Grinch
Recipes 

May 2010
Valparaiso, Indiana, Valparaiso, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastermm View Post
I just made this and have an extra keg around. If I'm going to keg this beer, would you recommend doing the same (albeit less molasses?) and carbonate naturally in the keg?

If force carbonating, which I'm thinking I will do, what about making up a quart of molasses/sarsaparilla tea for a secondary for about a week?

The fermenter smells heavenly, I'm really excited.
how did it turn out?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #17
Dragon
Recipes 

Jun 2014
, Iowa
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does this seem over-primed as listed? The calculator at http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ would put that at about 4.5 CO2.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #18
Kuntry
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2014
Buffalo Valley, Tennessee

Brewed this, bottled and kegged. Anyone else find it to be extremely sour? I may have just made my first batch of mugwort vinegar!