Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbsdizzo

Reaction score
http://www.warpbreach.com/6/6.html

Me and a friend are going to attempt this today. A few newb questions I ahve though.

Were gonna go to the local grocery store and get the materials(were going to use the sugar water method).

When its done, can you add kool aid or crystal light to the mix to give it flavor? Anything else you can add?

I read through the article and im sorry if this is redundant(I remember seeing this somewhere) can you add a bit more yeast and sugar a few days into fermentation to increase the alcohol content?

Also, how much water do you pour into a small pot to mix with the yeast when you hydrate it?

My friend is going to keep the jugs in his ceiling(he has the tiled ceiling. His closet doesnt have a door so its too bright), will getting it down to look at it disturb the process? Or is it just a "set it and forget it" type deal?

I am calling underage poster!! :p

Here are some of my suggestions . . . put the yeast directly into the bottle, but use a glass bottle instead of a milk jug. Also, add about three times that amount of sugar. Do it right. Finally . . . and this is a really important step. Seal the glass bottle as tightly as possible . . . crank the lid on tightly and don't ever take it off through the fermentation.

Then . . . hide it in your buddies ceiling tiles and forget about it . . .

Hope this helps . . . good luck!!!

:D :fro:

sonvolt said:
I am calling underage poster!! :p

Here are some of my suggestions . . . put the yeast directly into the bottle, but use a glass bottle instead of a milk jug. Also, add about three times that amount of sugar. Do it right. Finally . . . and this is a really important step. Seal the glass bottle as tightly as possible . . . crank the lid on tightly and don't ever take it off through the fermentation.

Then . . . hide it in your buddies ceiling tiles and forget about it . . .

Hope this helps . . . good luck!!!

:D :fro:

What do you mean put it directly into the bottle? I am doing the sugar/water kind, no grapefruit. About 3.5 cups sugar, and 14 cups of water...

We just did two batches. The first batch we filled a pot with warm water and sort of dissolved yeast/sugar... IDK if htis will work...

Can you write an in depth process for me please? I would really appreciate it. Those instructions were hard to follow and in-adequate.

cbsdizzo said:
What do you mean put it directly into the bottle? I am doing the sugar/water kind, no grapefruit. About 3.5 cups sugar, and 14 cups of water...

We just did two batches. The first batch we filled a pot with warm water and sort of dissolved yeast/sugar... IDK if htis will work...

Can you write an in depth process for me please? I would really appreciate it. Those instructions were hard to follow and in-adequate.

He was pulling your leg. Please don't take anything he said seriously. Follow his instructions and you will have your glass bottle blowing up in your buddies ceiling! He should have been winking at you instead of giving you the big grin icon.

If you want to make this stuff, follow the instructions on the site you linked to and you will do okay. At least it will be safer.

Lounge Lizard said:
He was pulling your leg. Please don't take anything he said seriously. Follow his instructions and you will have your glass bottle blowing up in your buddies ceiling! He should have been winking at you instead of giving you the big grin icon.

If you want to make this stuff, follow the instructions on the site you linked to and you will do okay. At least it will be safer.

What!!!??;) No way, man. Everybody knows that when you ferment in an airtight container you get, like, triple the alcohol content. :drunk:

I'm just saying, if these guys are gonna do it, they should do it right. Glass fermenter, airtight lid, lots of sugar, lots of yeast . . . then stow it away in the ceiling!!!! That is what I would do!

Plus . . . if you brew wine with a balloon on top of the jug . . . you will go blind!!! Swear to god . . . don't use the balloon!!

:ban:

knewshound said:
You just had to go and spoil all the fun didnt you?

I for one was really looking forward to his next post !

LMAO

Cheers,

knewshound

Homebrewing 101

Sorry guys... What can I say? LOL

--------------

cbsdizzo,

You can also make beer from grocery store ingrediants. Have a look in the recipe section for Prohibition Beer. Won't taste real great, but it works...

You CAN use a glass jug to make wine in, just use the balloon cap or get a stopper with a hole drilled in it, and run a tube from the stopper to a bucket of water. That way the CO2 can get out and air can't get back in...

Lounge Lizard said:
You CAN use a glass jug to make wine in, just use the balloon cap or get a stopper with a hole drilled in it, and run a tube from the stopper to a bucket of water. That way the CO2 can get out and air can't get back in...

Yeah . . . .if you want all the alcohol to escape through the hole. These guys want some strong wine . . . ferment in an airtight, glass container. All that stuff about open fermentation, airlocks, and blowoff tubes . . . just wives tales and brewing myths.

But, do what you want, guys.

cbsdizzo said:

Hard to follow and inadequate?!? That's a pretty thorough and simple set of instructions there. If you had troubel following it, then drinking might not be a good idea for you. :)

Seriously, though... that sugar water is in NO WAY wine. Wine is made from fruit juice, which is completely absent in that recipe. That stuff is going to taste like Formula 409 (if you are lucky.)

-walker

Walker-san said:
Hard to follow and inadequate?!? That's a pretty thorough and simple set of instructions there. If you had trouble following it, then drinking might not be a good idea for you. :) Seriously, though... that sugar water is in NO WAY wine. Wine is made from fruit juice, which is completely absent in that recipe. That stuff is going to taste like Formula 409 (if you are lucky.) -walker
I'd have to agree with you that it's hard to follow if you don't know how to read and haven't graduated from middle school yet...:(...according to the media you kids are walking ATM machines:confused:...

In all seriousness, I don't think there is one brewing member here who would ever waste their time and $$$ on a project like this one. That shows good judgement, intelligence and maturity.

Can I borrow 20 bucks to make real beer?:drunk:

Walker-san said:
Hard to follow and inadequate?!? That's a pretty thorough and simple set of instructions there. If you had troubel following it, then drinking might not be a good idea for you. :)

Seriously, though... that sugar water is in NO WAY wine. Wine is made from fruit juice, which is completely absent in that recipe. That stuff is going to taste like Formula 409 (if you are lucky.)

-walker

I didn't mean the instructions you all gave to me. i am talking about hte instructions from that website... Abotu liek hydrating yeast... It doesn't give specifics. Sorry if I sounded like an ass.

Are there any kits which can be made from common house-hold items or cheaper kits because money is a little tight right now... I am about to leave for Marine boot camp, so all of my finances are going straight to paying bills ahead, since my recruiter didn't tell me that your payments can be frozen in bootcamp. Does anyone have any simple beer recipes or ideas on how to make a brew setup? Sorry if it sounded like I was being rude to you guys earlier, I was simply talking about the other man's instructions from that site.

Thank You

cbsdizzo said:
I was simply talking about the other man's instructions from that site.

So was I. Those instructions are pretty easy to follow. You gave "hydrating yeast" as an example of something that was not clear. Here's what the author had to say:

"If you want the yeast to work properly, you need to HYDRATE it first. Follow the directions on the package in order to do this properly. If you're too lazy to follow them precisely, just pour some warm water into a cup and then dump the powder into it. DO NOT STIR the yeast right away - For best results, give it time to hydrate on its own before messing with it."

yup... thay should have you covered for everything... except bottles... you'll need to gather or buy empty NON-TWIST-OFF bottles to put the beer in when it's done fermenting. You'll need about two cases of bottles for a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Yea. I gues everyone starts off like I am. The instructions about hydrating the yeast were confusing, because I thought yeast was very delicate and could be destroyed if too much or too little water, and when to place the sugar ETC.

cbsdizzo said:
Yea. I gues everyone starts off like I am.

Yes, all of us have been beginners at some point, but none I know tried making an alcoholic beverage with just Sugar before. That's where most of the resonses from this forum are coming from. It appears that you are just trying to make cheap alcohol.

I would think by the time you look at the expense of the ingredients, time involved, and quality of the finished product you'd be better off bribing a bum to get you some rotgut from the liquor store.

Yes, you read that correctly - alcohol is basically fungus piss. Think about THAT the next time you see some attractive member of the opposite sex downing a shot at a bar!

BAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

as suprising as it sounds this very recipe/procedure turned up with a couple of guys at our local hbs. down to putting more sugar and yeast in as asked above.

apparently people drink this stuff -

Kaiser said:
Yes, all of us have been beginners at some point, but none I know tried making an alcoholic beverage with just Sugar before. That's where most of the resonses from this forum are coming from. It appears that you are just trying to make cheap alcohol.

Exactly. Me and my friends found that article on a chem site, because we are interested in chemistry. I didn't have the resources/or the money at that time to make real beer. Making alcohol in general interests me. I wish you would be more constructive... I just want to learn. Thanks

cbsdizzo said:
Making alcohol in general interests me. I wish you would be more constructive... I just want to learn. Thanks

Fair enough. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh earlier.

Making alcohol is easy. You put yeast and sugar together in water. Nature does the rest.

From there, things start getting more... refined, I guess is a good word. Where you get the sugar from dictates what you are making

fruit = wine
malted grain = beer
honey = mead
table sugar = hooch

www.howtobrew.com will walk you though just about everything you need to know to get started brewing beer with various methods; using malt extract (a sugar syrup made from mashed grains), extract+grain, and all grain.

I don't know of an equivalent on-line source for the details of making wine or mead. I think you might have already found the definitive source for making hooch. :)

Once you get the general process (fermentation) down, you will find that you are master of your domain and can turn just about any sugary liquid into an alcoholic beverage.... it's just a matter of what you want the final product to look & taste like.

-walker

My dad's a junior high science teacher from the old school. He doesn't get to do as much fun stuff anymore, but he used to do all kinds of semi-dangerous, usually fire related, "experiments" with his students. Now there is a whole generation of people in the Huntington beach area with singed (sp?) eyebrows and great memories of science class.

On the "making cheap alcohol" front, he put in some work, too. He made alcohol in petri dishes with cane sugar and yeast, then distilled it in class. The kids thought it was awesome, but some got headaches from the fumes..:cross:

He also has a dead monkey floating in a 2 gallon jar. Super freaky.

I totally agree. THe sugar stuff was just basically an experiment. We just wanted the satisfaction of making our own alcohol! That was the whole idea behind it. Everyone is just saying to go out and buy our own alcohol for the same price, but I want the satisfaction of making my own. I am going to buy a kit from ebay.... or another site with the 2 6.5 gallon buckets, a 5 gallon carboy, auto siphon, spigot, hydrometer, thermometer, ETC... We will see how it all goes.

cbsdizzo said:
I totally agree. THe sugar stuff was just basically an experiment. We just wanted the satisfaction of making our own alcohol! That was the whole idea behind it. Everyone is just saying to go out and buy our own alcohol for the same price, but I want the satisfaction of making my own. I am going to buy a kit from ebay.... or another site with the 2 6.5 gallon buckets, a 5 gallon carboy, auto siphon, spigot, hydrometer, thermometer, ETC... We will see how it all goes.

Then explain the whole thing about putting it above your buddy's ceiling tiles. I think that you may be underage, which is why I find it very unethical to help you learn about making cheap alcohol.

Just my $.02.

Additionally, I love this site because everyone here seems to be genuinely interested in promoting the responsible brewing of great beers. If this place turns into a "let's all make cheap alcohol that we can drink before we are 21 kind of place," I feel that the integrity of the art of homebrewing is also at stake.

sonvolt said:
I think that you may be underage, which is why I find it very unethical to help you learn about making cheap alcohol.

Good point. Though I'm not a believer in a drinking age of 21 (18 is certainly better), I acknowledge it in this country. If you are indeed underaged and want to make cheap alc, all the info is out there and you don't need our help.

cbsdizzo said:
I dont want to make cheap alcohol. I want to learn how to brew beer.

ok then, you will need ingredients that you cannot get at your local grocery store: Malt extract, hops and yeast. For this you will have to go to a home brew store or order them online. The Malt extract can be streched with sugar, though this will bring down the price, it will compromise the flavor or the finished product.

Kai

Yes I have been looking at Northern Brew. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good dark ale? I love a sweeter beer.

A mellow porter might be a good choice. Not too hard to make, a bit of roast to hide flaws and it can handle a little sweet edge. I will leave the extract recipe to somebody else. Just avoid those wheat beers, they will lead you down a dark road to damnation and suffering.

Back