Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 11-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
mosyslack
doesn't drink...hahaha
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone had this? It's got a sweet finish that almost tastes like cream soda. What is this? At first I thought maybe high on the crystal malts, but there's something else there... I think. Anyone with some ideas? I looked on their web site, and there's nothing that I've seen.

It's ok...something that I can have one, maybe two of before it's too much.

Drinking: 3rd Shift Breakfast Stout, store bought

Old 11-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosyslack View Post
Anyone had this? It's got a sweet finish that almost tastes like cream soda. What is this? At first I thought maybe high on the crystal malts, but there's something else there... I think. Anyone with some ideas? I looked on their web site, and there's nothing that I've seen.

It's ok...something that I can have one, maybe two of before it's too much.
The finish was like artificial hazelnut to me. I found this beer to be horrendous, much like their other offerings. I won't tell anyone what to drink, but I'll pass on this in the future...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7369 Times on 5209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
The finish was like artificial hazelnut to me. I found this beer to be horrendous, much like their other offerings. I won't tell anyone what to drink, but I'll pass on this in the future...
BernieBrewer told me is wasn't very good- typical Leine's stuff. But I asked him if it was a lager (all of their beers are lagers) and he said yes. That seems weird to me- a nut brown lager? Is it like their "creamy dark"?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
BernieBrewer told me is wasn't very good- typical Leine's stuff. But I asked him if it was a lager (all of their beers are lagers) and he said yes. That seems weird to me- a nut brown lager? Is it like their "creamy dark"?
I haven't had the dark but yes, this one is lager. It is in the vein of Honey Brown, but not even as good as that. I like Leine's enthusiasm, but their product stinks...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
abonzer
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found it to be really good, but not as good as say Newcastle. I wonder if Nut Brown's are the taste of the season. I see Goose Island is also currently offering a Nut Brown.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

Beer Advocate calls it a winter warmer and it's getting good ratings but either you love it or hate it. Deviation is pretty high.

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

Old 11-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
Donner
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Oxford, MS
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i couldn't stand the stuff. First few sips weren't terrible, but man, the more i tried, the sweeter it got and the tougher it was to finish. Never again.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
mlanoue
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Leine's Summer Shandy is pretty good, though. Haven't had this Nut Brown yet. Maybe I won't bother.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts

I normally don't like nut browns and I don't especially like hazelnut notes, but I liked this one. I still have 3 bottles left. I'll try it again this wknd and see how I like it.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 146 Times on 118 Posts

Leine's makes me wish the US had a Rheinheitsgebot..... This is a nut brown beer just like honey weiss is a weiss.... blech! I really dislike what they produce and this is no different. Cheap additives, fermenting with a lager yeast, then calling it a craft ale. What the hell is that!?

I agree that I will never tell people what to like and dislike (my FIL loves honeyweiss and drinks very few other beers), but this is low-grade beer at best and straight up blaspheme in my opinion.

EDIT: Many of the people who like Leine's normal offerings will love this beer. That has been my experience.

Edit to the EDIT: I wish that Miller had enough class to at least make its psuedo-craft beer acceptable like Bud did. I will never buy the American Amber, but at least it was a pretty good beer and it was what they said it was... Bah ale beers with lager yeast.... laughable