Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator Deal at Home Depot - $348 after rebate

Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #61
Displaced MassHole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbigdogs View Post
Like others, I just purchased the Home Depot Magic Chef MCKC490S kegerator. In taking everything out of the box, I have three questions. 1) It came with a clamp to use where the red hose attaches to the regulator. But there is not a clamp for the other end of the red hose where it attaches to the keg coupler. Do I need one here? 2) There was a black round gasket about 3" in diameter and no reference of where this goes. I thought maybe between the tower and the top of the kegerator. Any ideas? 3) There is a small round marble type item. Any ideas where this goes? THANKS!!
1) The hose barb on the coupler is usually bigger than that of the regulator. Meaning that because there will be more tension on the hose you wont need the clamp. 2) Most draft towers are 3" in diameter so my guess is that it is supposed to go between the top of the keg and the base of the tower. 3) That small marble thing (I'm guessing it's white plastic) is the check valve part of the coupler. If it has fallen out them I think you are missing another piece as well. That ball goes into the top part of the coupler, where the beer flows out, but there should be a retaining device to keep it in there. That retaining device should not keep beer from flowing out of the top of the coupler though.

Draft Beer Dispensing System Cleaning

I'm linking you to the micromatic website, on the middle right hand side is a diagram of a typical keg coupler. If you look towards the top you will see the "marble" that I think you are describing and the retaining device above it. I'm not sure if this is the info you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #62
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbigdogs View Post
Like others, I just purchased the Home Depot Magic Chef MCKC490S kegerator. In taking everything out of the box, I have three questions. 1) It came with a clamp to use where the red hose attaches to the regulator. But there is not a clamp for the other end of the red hose where it attaches to the keg coupler. Do I need one here? 2) There was a black round gasket about 3" in diameter and no reference of where this goes. I thought maybe between the tower and the top of the kegerator. Any ideas? 3) There is a small round marble type item. Any ideas where this goes? THANKS!!
The black round gasket goes between the tower and the top of the kegerator. Do yourself a favor. Mount the tower and make sure it gets cold enough before you start modifying anything. There are instructions somewhere for turning a set screw and making it colder, but that didn't work for me so I ended up returning it. Eventially I found a used Haier for $250 on Craig's List (and promptly added another $500 or parts to it).

Old 04-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #63
luvbigdogs
Recipes 

Thanks Displaced MassHole!! That was just what I needed to know. Now I can go get that first keg and give this system a try.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #64
saltydawg
Recipes 

Default HD Kegerator

I found this post today because I just bought a Home Depot kegerator. (Vissani MCKC490S) Yeah it's a lower end model, but I'm going to give it a try.

To the point... HD is discontinuing this product. I just bought one for $297. If it holds temperature, I'm going to upgrade the regulator and go to 2 taps. I was thinking of calling Beverage Factory when & if I get to that point.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good price.

Would be glad to read posts from those who still have, or had one and what they think of it.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #65
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

While it is lower end, that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Look into cooling the tower, this will greatly help reduce foam problems.

Also, the regulator, if dual gauge will do fine for quite some time. No need to upgrade it right off the bat if you don't want. And when you go to two taps, as long as both beers dispense at the same pressure and are the same volumes of co2, the one regulator will work fine.

I think people who have had cooling problems with these have largely solved the problem by tweaking the thermostat. There are threads on these on the Micro Matic forums.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #66
JONNYROTTEN
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Double think before buying the home depot kegerator.Im in the middle of building one now and did alot of reseach.I had that same one in cart then left it there.first,the fridge has really bad reviews.thery say it doesnt get cold unless you take apart the thermestat.the hole going up to the tower is only 3/4" and everything Ive read says you need to get alot of air into the tower or your first beer on every pour will be warm and foamy,and the worst part is they had one on display and when i pulled on the tap the whole tower came forward cause the flange and column are 2 pieces that just slide over each other(not tightly).unless the tower was broken and thats why it was a floor model.that fridge is on clearance for 297 by me.i just got a sanyo fridge on craigslist for $80,dual tap on ebay for $85 free co2 tank from local beer distributer and $50 for regulator on ebay.$215 total and itll be a better kegerator.Just something to think about.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #67
chask31
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the tower came off it was probably just assembled by one of the kids they hired that didnt care about assembly. Mine is on solid because I assembled it
Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Old 11-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #68
Gasman09
Recipes 

Default Danby Kegerator at HD in Denver

FYI: The HD in Littleton, CO has a nice Danby Kegerator (model DKC645BLS)for about $400. It has a digital temperature display and control on the front and, more importantly, holds three cornys. It has a single tap, dual gauge regulator, 5lb CO2 tank, and Sanke fittings. I have had no problems with temperature control, seems to be better made than some of the earlier offerings by HD... have had it about one month and would definitely recommend this model.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #69
saltydawg
Recipes 

Looks like the HD Vissani just might be a keeper. On a 0-6 thermostat range I set it to 4.5 last night. It's holding 35* all last night and today,(empty) without running much at all. I didn't have to go into the thermostat itself & adjust the range. Although the directions explain how to do that if needed.

I'm not saying it's better than any number of the other products or home made jobs out there... it was cheap & easy... and might be an option for others who are thinking about buying a kegerator.

Thanks for all the comments!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #70
chask31
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Salty, I agree, although once you have some kegs in there, you may have to adjust the thermostat.

Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit