Adjusting gravity with Beersmith - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Adjusting gravity with Beersmith

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 456
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts



Hi, all. New Beersmith user here about to embark on my first all-grain experience.

I'm planning on checking my gravity after the mash, to see if I need to add any DME to get it right. However, the recipe also calls for candi sugar and turbinado sugar. How do I use Beersmith to account for what my gravity should be after the mash, but before I add the other sugars? And how do I know how much DME to add if I'm low?


Thanks,

CB


__________________
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
scottfro
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Vancouver, BC
Posts: 258

you could make up the recipe in brew smith with preboil volumes rather than post boil and without the candi sugar, see what the gravity is. then add the sugar to the recipe until you get the appropriate finishing gravity you want (accounting for boil off) and add that amount of sugar to the boil.


__________________
Primary:

Secondary:

Bottled:
#30 Chocolate Porter
#27 Smoked Ale
#26 Hard Apple Cider (Champagne Yeast)
#25 Big Als' Blackberry Brew 2008
#15 Hard Apple Cyser

Kegged:
#31 Field Hand Hefeweizen

http://www.deterrabrewing.com/forum <-- Vancouver Homebrewing Network

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Nurmey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,983
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts


On the brew sheet it will give you the estimated gravity of your mash. It doesn't show on the main screen but does on the brew sheet.
__________________
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 456
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
On the brew sheet it will give you the estimated gravity of your mash. It doesn't show on the main screen but does on the brew sheet.
Ah, that sounds like it will be useful.

And another question...this is a 3-gallon batch, but Beersmith has boil volume at 1.79 gallons. What gives?
__________________
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
A4J's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Posts: 1,350
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts


Beersmith will adjust your boil volume based on the evaporation (default is 9% per hour) and amount of trub. You can uncheck "set boil volume based on equipment" or adjust your evaporation rate accordingly.
__________________
Primary 1: pale ale
Primary 2: blondie


My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
MikeInCtown
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Parma Hts. OH
Posts: 424
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by climateboy View Post
Ah, that sounds like it will be useful.

And another question...this is a 3-gallon batch, but Beersmith has boil volume at 1.79 gallons. What gives?
Are you sure that isn't the volume of water you are supposed to collect from the mash tun? I know that many recipies have you collect x amount of water and then add xx amount to get to target boil volume. The spreadsheets in Beersmith are no different.

I also found that it really helps by inputting your actual equipment and through several test runs figure out your actual evaporation rate. Using the evap rate as tested, trub left over, and cooling loss, I have been able to get the boil volume needed almost perfect for 5 gallons post cooling in my aluminum pot.
__________________
Primary - Apfelwine
Secondary - Niagara white wine
Kegged - AH Special Holiday Ale, AH Cream Ale, AH Honey Wheat
Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 456
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCtown View Post
Are you sure that isn't the volume of water you are supposed to collect from the mash tun? I know that many recipies have you collect x amount of water and then add xx amount to get to target boil volume. The spreadsheets in Beersmith are no different.

I also found that it really helps by inputting your actual equipment and through several test runs figure out your actual evaporation rate. Using the evap rate as tested, trub left over, and cooling loss, I have been able to get the boil volume needed almost perfect for 5 gallons post cooling in my aluminum pot.
That sounds like a good idea, but I can tell you I'd never spend the time doing it.


__________________
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adjusting ratio in beersmith? claphamsa Brewing Software 2 09-28-2009 06:56 PM
Adjusting gravity with more H2O nasmeyer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 04-15-2009 03:47 PM
Beersmith - adjusting ingredient boil time nostalgia Brewing Software 3 03-20-2009 06:17 PM
weird way of adjusting wort gravity? beretta All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 07-08-2008 07:15 AM
Adjusting to hit target gravity Dark_Ale Recipes/Ingredients 2 12-28-2007 06:16 PM


Forum Jump