Bad Diacetyl Taste - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bad Diacetyl Taste

Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Oct 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For my first all-grain batch, I made EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I used US-05 because Notty wasn't available at my LHBS.

I hit my mash temperature and everything seemed to be okay other than a low efficiency from a poor crush.

I didn't rehydrate the US-05. I pitched at 70 then cooled my swamp cooler to 65.

I swirled/shook the wort pretty well I thought to aerate.

The yeast was a very slow starter and fermentation was slow. 3 days to get a good krausen going, total fermentation took close to 10 days.

After 14 days in primary, I tasted it and there is a strong diacetyl taste - almost like a glass of chardonnay. I swirled the carboy the best I could and left it another 10 days. Still very bad diacetyl - no noticeable improvement. It's been 7 days since I last tasted it, so we're at just over a month in primary at this point.

I don't mind leaving it in the primary longer, but am not sure how long I should leave it. Is there any chance that racking to secondary might rouse the yeast and help process the diacetyl? Should I leave it in primary another month? Put it in a keg and try in 3 months?

What would you do?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
May 2008
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with a blond ale that I made. I left it to ferment longer the taste did subside a bit but it's still bad. I think you should let it sit longer the yeast may eat up that diacityl taste

Im sure with mine it was because of a warm fermentation. my wife turned the heat up to 80 one day when we were at work so im guessing that you may have had a simliar issue,.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3193 Times on 1885 Posts

Check this thread out...
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Interesting - I've done probably 10 batches with US-05, all fermented at 65-70 and I've never got any taste resembling diacetyl. The only difference I see is that I always rehydrated the yeast. Every one started to ferment within 24 hours, and finished in 10 days or so.

I would leave it primary for longer for your best chance of the yeast cleaning it up.
"If you're gonna be an ape, be a hairy one" - Spyder

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber