Repeat of Boil question in Gen Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I suppose I got shunted off the page by weekend inactivity and am now lost for posterity, so I ask again - I cannot boil 6 gals at once, so can I split brew in half, boil cool add ALL yeast, boil cool add to first half. Thanks.

Hey Bob, without knowing your recipe and type of brew (extract, pm, ag) it is hard to say. The main concern would be the hop schedule. Hop utilization is affected by boil volume, which is the main concern with what you are considering. Sure, you can do it, you just need to alter you hop quantities a bit to compensate.

If you have two smaller pots, just split the boil that way. If not, I wouldn't add the yeast until the second half is combined. But dividing your wort and hops into two equal boils should work fine.

Edit:
Looking at the Grinder post below, I stand corrected. I would guess that adding the yeast early has something to do with getting the process started to lower the risk of contamination. Let us know how you make out.

Bob - without a doubt you can do that. Palmer talks about that process in a podcast I was listening to just last week. I was surprised that he suggested adding the yeast to batch one and then adding the wort to the already fermenting yeast but . . . . . I GUESS since HE said ti was OK . . . it is.

Just split the hops in half - it'll be like two small batches combined into one.

What I've been doing is just boiling two 1/2 batches at once. Get's a little dicey when both pots want to have their hot break at the same time but I now stagger the boils by 5 minutes (happens naturally with slightly different pots).

thanks, everybody, next brew I do it, the main problem is, in the UK, it is not possible to buy a 3 kilowatt electric heating ring any more, I had one, it bust, can't replace.

Back