Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics) - Page 21 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #201
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,790
Liked 261 Times on 134 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA
I was wondering when someone was going to comment on that
__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #202
Schnitzengiggle
 
Schnitzengiggle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,560
Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts


I'll never live in a Cul-de-Sac because it has Sac in it!
__________________
follow me @ Broken Glass Brewery

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #203
pizzaman
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
San Antonio, TX
Posts: 680
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
I was wondering when someone was going to comment on that
still laugh every time I look at it....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #204
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,790
Liked 261 Times on 134 Posts


Looks like my threads are having a reunion, but I think it's about time I made another tutorial
__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #205
hcarter
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Columbus Ohio
Posts: 352
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Why hasn't this one been sticky'd yet?
__________________
Creag `An Tuirc
A Highlander likes two things naked. The other's Scotch.
- Howard
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #206
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,790
Liked 261 Times on 134 Posts


It was sticky'd once. Then it appears someone thought my partial mash thread was more important. Everyone still seems to be able to find it...I'm not concerned.
__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #207
Slainte
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
North-East California
Posts: 13

Hey there DeathBrewer,

Question for ya: Once you are doughed in, and you are at your desired mash temp, you cover and wait. But do you shut the burner off, or down to low, or? All my grains showed up yesterday. I'll be brewing my first AG this weekend! Want to make sure to get it right.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Slán go foill,

Sláinte

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #208
mrjeffrey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 15

Great stuff. I'm also psyching myself up for my first ag. Sorry if this has been covered, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use an unmodified cooler as a mash tun and otherwise follow this method. Is there any reason you couldn't (or shouldn't) put the grains in a bag into the cooler with the strike water and mash there (assuming you could keep a steady temp). Then take the whole bag out, put the wort in a pot, and then sparge in the cooler. Then combine the wort and boil from there. I'm wondering if this would accommodate more grain and hence allow for a higher o.g. for stronger beers.

I was just trying to brainstorm ways to do a bigger beer with a 5 gallon pot. My other thought was to try a 3 gallon batch, but I wondered if after the sparge, you'd end up with too much wort and have to try to boil a lot off.

(I know it's not that difficult to make a proper mash tun, but I don't really want to go to the trouble just yet, and haven't completely figured out why all the sawed-up copper tubing is necessary.)

Thanks a lot. This thread and the partial mash one have been great inspirations for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #209
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,790
Liked 261 Times on 134 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte View Post
Hey there DeathBrewer,

Question for ya: Once you are doughed in, and you are at your desired mash temp, you cover and wait. But do you shut the burner off, or down to low, or? All my grains showed up yesterday. I'll be brewing my first AG this weekend! Want to make sure to get it right.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Slán go foill,

Sláinte
Turn your burner off. If you leave it on, covered, your temp will jump way up.
__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #210
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DeathBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,790
Liked 261 Times on 134 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjeffrey View Post
Great stuff. I'm also psyching myself up for my first ag. Sorry if this has been covered, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use an unmodified cooler as a mash tun and otherwise follow this method. Is there any reason you couldn't (or shouldn't) put the grains in a bag into the cooler with the strike water and mash there (assuming you could keep a steady temp). Then take the whole bag out, put the wort in a pot, and then sparge in the cooler. Then combine the wort and boil from there. I'm wondering if this would accommodate more grain and hence allow for a higher o.g. for stronger beers.

I was just trying to brainstorm ways to do a bigger beer with a 5 gallon pot. My other thought was to try a 3 gallon batch, but I wondered if after the sparge, you'd end up with too much wort and have to try to boil a lot off.

(I know it's not that difficult to make a proper mash tun, but I don't really want to go to the trouble just yet, and haven't completely figured out why all the sawed-up copper tubing is necessary.)

Thanks a lot. This thread and the partial mash one have been great inspirations for me.
Sure, it would work, but with conversions costing less than $40 with 30 minutes of effort, I would get that thing converted. You can buy kits from morebeer, northern brewer, austin homebrew or make it yourself for half the money.

My method is not intended for doing bigger beers. If I were doing a bigger beer with this method, I would use extract and step it up over time (add extract after fermentation begins.)

I use my cooler for bigger beers
__________________
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) DeathBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1558 03-03-2016 05:49 PM
All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (pics) DRoyLenz General Beer Discussion 76 06-30-2014 04:53 PM
MacGuyver Stovetop All Grain MikeRLynch All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 10-22-2010 01:22 PM
Is there an easy way to get the Bayou Classic at near-stovetop height? nibiyabi Equipment/Sanitation 23 03-18-2009 06:24 PM
Stovetop all grain. Bender All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 01-31-2009 04:32 AM


Forum Jump