Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics) - Page 102 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #1011
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 
 
May 2013
New Westminster, British Columbia
Posts: 394
Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts


Just wondering if there is anything wrong with heating up sparge water in a couple of pots then putting the water and grains in plastic ferment pale for 10 mins..sanitized of course.

Total BIAB newb here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #1012
Hopelesst
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Frederick, Md
Posts: 105
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


That sounds fine. I've been doing side-by-side small batches recently and I heat my water on the stove, and BIAB mash in a bucket while I work on cleanup and the next batch.

The beauty of this system is that it will work with whatever equipment you have available. You just have to find the process that works best for you and your space.
__________________
My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #1013
Yrogerg1089
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Warrenville, Illinois
Posts: 195
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk47 View Post
Is there any problems with heating the 1st runnings in your brew kettle while you are sparging? I'm thinking it will help to streamline and shorten the brewday if I have these almost to boiling prior to adding the 2nd runnings.
+1 bump. I too have been wondering this
__________________
Here’s to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer—and another one!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #1014
bovineblitz
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,446
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk47 View Post
Is there any problems with heating the 1st runnings in your brew kettle while you are sparging? I'm thinking it will help to streamline and shorten the brewday if I have these almost to boiling prior to adding the 2nd runnings.
Nope, go for it. Saves time and hurts nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestBrewer View Post
Just wondering if there is anything wrong with heating up sparge water in a couple of pots then putting the water and grains in plastic ferment pale for 10 mins..sanitized of course.

Total BIAB newb here.
As long as the water/grains aren't much hotter than mash temp there's no problem with this. There's also no need to sanitize it, you're going to boil the wort anyways. Just make sure it's clean.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #1015
ChefBrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
California
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


This post has me riveted. I can' wait to get a 6 gallon pot. This is just what I needed. I learned today that AG is much cheaper than PM. With that being said, I thought I wouldn't be able to get to AG for a very long time considering my resources at home. Now that I have found this thread, the prospect of doing all grain are great!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #1016
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Posts: 9,405
Liked 1629 Times on 1294 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBrew View Post
This post has me riveted. I can' wait to get a 6 gallon pot. This is just what I needed. I learned today that AG is much cheaper than PM. With that being said, I thought I wouldn't be able to get to AG for a very long time considering my resources at home. Now that I have found this thread, the prospect of doing all grain are great!
I hope you just mistyped that because with a 6 gallon pot you will be limited to slightly less than 4 gallons of beer in a batch. An 8 gallon pot would give you room for the amount needed to account for boil off in the hour long boil plus headroom for the hot break foam but just barely. Bigger would be better.

Or am I misunderstanding what your 6 gallon pot would be used for?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #1017
borden
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Posts: 317
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I hope you just mistyped that because with a 6 gallon pot you will be limited to slightly less than 4 gallons of beer in a batch. An 8 gallon pot would give you room for the amount needed to account for boil off in the hour long boil plus headroom for the hot break foam but just barely. Bigger would be better.

Or am I misunderstanding what your 6 gallon pot would be used for?
Yeah, I did 5 gallon batches in a 7.5 gallon pot and it was a little nerve-wracking sometimes due to pre-boil volume and the potential for boilovers. Doable for sure, but the bigger the better.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #1018
ChefBrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
California
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I hope you just mistyped that because with a 6 gallon pot you will be limited to slightly less than 4 gallons of beer in a batch. An 8 gallon pot would give you room for the amount needed to account for boil off in the hour long boil plus headroom for the hot break foam but just barely. Bigger would be better.

Or am I misunderstanding what your 6 gallon pot would be used for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Yeah, I did 5 gallon batches in a 7.5 gallon pot and it was a little nerve-wracking sometimes due to pre-boil volume and the potential for boilovers. Doable for sure, but the bigger the better.
Well, according to the original post, Death Brewer says that you can brew an All Grain batch using at minimum, one 5 gallon pot (which I already have) and one 6 gallon pot. I realize that the bigger your pot, the better, but I am limited on space.

The mash happens with about 3 gallons in the 5 gallon pot with about a gallon of loss from the grains absorbing it. The sparge happens in the 6 gallon pot. After all the wort is combined, it totals about 5 gallons. Just enough to have a full boil in a 6 gallon pot.

Although I'm paraphrasing Death Brewer here (I'm sure you read the original post), I know that I really won't understand how it works until I try it. Hopefully that will be soon.

Anyone else have a go at this method with a 6 gal pot?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #1019
borden
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Posts: 317
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBrew View Post
Well, according to the original post, Death Brewer says that you can brew an All Grain batch using at minimum, one 5 gallon pot (which I already have) and one 6 gallon pot. I realize that the bigger your pot, the better, but I am limited on space.
I suppose he does say 6+ gallon pot, but having done this method of BIAB for a couple dozen batches, I know I couldn't do a 5 gallon batch with a 6 gallon pot. Mashing and sparging would work, but the boil would be trouble.

I was brewing 4.25 gallon batches and would need a pre-boil volume of about 5.5 gallons. Boil-off will vary a bit by setup, of course, and deadspace varies, too. But you get the idea. If I were doing 5 gallons into the fermenter, I would've been at the brim or over a 6 gallon pot.

FWIW, I boiled in a very cheap aluminum 7.5 gallon pot. Got mine for $28 with shipping. It's the same diameter as my 5 gallon pot, just taller.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, just want to share another BIAB stovetop brewer's experience and perspective!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #1020
ChefBrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
California
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by borden
I suppose he does say 6+ gallon pot, but having done this method of BIAB for a couple dozen batches, I know I couldn't do a 5 gallon batch with a 6 gallon pot. Mashing and sparging would work, but the boil would be trouble. I was brewing 4.25 gallon batches and would need a pre-boil volume of about 5.5 gallons. Boil-off will vary a bit by setup, of course, and deadspace varies, too. But you get the idea. If I were doing 5 gallons into the fermenter, I would've been at the brim or over a 6 gallon pot. FWIW, I boiled in a very cheap aluminum 7.5 gallon pot. Got mine for $28 with shipping. It's the same diameter as my 5 gallon pot, just taller. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just want to share another BIAB stovetop brewer's experience and perspective!
I really appreciate the advice. I definitely do not want things to go wrong. Your feedback is just the kind of thing I need. I do not plan on rushing in to this. The first step for me is getting a bigger pot. My 5 gallon is aluminum, I never even considered that the bigger pot would be aluminum too. I guess I'm being too particular. If I got a 7.5 or 8 gallon aluminum, it would be much cheaper and it would happen a lot sooner.

Thanks for the insight. I could use more of it.

borden Likes This 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) DeathBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1558 03-03-2016 05:49 PM
All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (pics) DRoyLenz General Beer Discussion 76 06-30-2014 04:53 PM
MacGuyver Stovetop All Grain MikeRLynch All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 10-22-2010 01:22 PM
Is there an easy way to get the Bayou Classic at near-stovetop height? nibiyabi Equipment/Sanitation 23 03-18-2009 06:24 PM
Stovetop all grain. Bender All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 01-31-2009 04:32 AM


Forum Jump