Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics) - Page 100 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #991
Tomcat0304
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
North Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 178
Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts




Haha, I've lost count of how many times I have read your tutorial the last few days, but today is the first time I noticed your poster! That's awesome!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #992
Oldskooler
Forum Supporter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Oldskooler's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Leesburg, FL
Posts: 279
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts


I'm new and always reading posts, yours are always top notch. Thanks, and keep up the good work
__________________
Enjoy Life..it has an expiration date

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #993
jjw5015
 
jjw5015's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Pennsburg, PA
Posts: 641
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts


Seriously considering trying this with a smaller batch. Will a 5 gallon paint strainer work as well as the 24" by 24" bag. I'll be using a 4 gallon pot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #994
Drookit
 
Drookit's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Palmer, AK
Posts: 101
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Mods, Can this be a sticky like DB's other one?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #995
cstarner
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Philly, PA
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw5015 View Post
Seriously considering trying this with a smaller batch. Will a 5 gallon paint strainer work as well as the 24" by 24" bag. I'll be using a 4 gallon pot.
Yes just make sure you check to see that your grain/water will fit the pot (the bag will take some room too).

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml (third one down)

You won't be able to make any high gravity beers unless it's a partial mash.
__________________
Primary: O'Shields Irish Stout
Secondary: None
On Tap: Sudoku Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #996
ThickHead
 
ThickHead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 972
Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarner View Post
Yes just make sure you check to see that your grain/water will fit the pot (the bag will take some room too).

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml (third one down)

You won't be able to make any high gravity beers unless it's a partial mash.
Or unless another pot is added. I do full mashes for 5 gallon batches in my 7.5 gallon pot. I do 10 gallon mashes by using a second 7.5 gallon pot.
__________________
Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #997
smrosendahl
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Auburn, WA
Posts: 14


I just read all the pages in about a week, bored a lot. I plan on doing some 3G SMaSH's with that. Quick question though for those that use irish moss, does the recommended amount coagulate the extra proteins that the mash doesn't filter? I know it should settle all the proteins from the traditional method, but BIAB doesn't filter it out from the mash nearly as well. Not worried about extra trub or anything, that just a given.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #998
Oldskooler
Forum Supporter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Oldskooler's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Leesburg, FL
Posts: 279
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts


I'm going to try this method today or tomorrow, looks great. Keep up the great posts
__________________
Enjoy Life..it has an expiration date

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #999
borden
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Posts: 312
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by smrosendahl View Post
I just read all the pages in about a week, bored a lot. I plan on doing some 3G SMaSH's with that. Quick question though for those that use irish moss, does the recommended amount coagulate the extra proteins that the mash doesn't filter? I know it should settle all the proteins from the traditional method, but BIAB doesn't filter it out from the mash nearly as well. Not worried about extra trub or anything, that just a given.
This isn't directly answering your question, but for what it's worth, I noticed no difference in clarity when I went from extract batches to stovetop BIAB using this method (using a tsp. of irish moss).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #1000
smrosendahl
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Auburn, WA
Posts: 14


I would say it leads me strongly in the right direction. Since I plan on doing 3 gallon batches, I figured I could just do 3/4 tsp. and have my bases covered. I think the people complaining about a protein layer above the trub were usually lacking irish moss, so I figured it would settle out with it. I can't do a cold crash, so I was a little worried with the few reports of it in this thread.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) DeathBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1558 03-03-2016 05:49 PM
All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (pics) DRoyLenz General Beer Discussion 76 06-30-2014 04:53 PM
MacGuyver Stovetop All Grain MikeRLynch All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 10-22-2010 01:22 PM
Is there an easy way to get the Bayou Classic at near-stovetop height? nibiyabi Equipment/Sanitation 23 03-18-2009 06:24 PM
Stovetop all grain. Bender All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 01-31-2009 04:32 AM


Forum Jump