How Much Gravity Points Will Pumpkin Add? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How Much Gravity Points Will Pumpkin Add?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts



I'm using one of the free online calculators that one of the members here so graciously pointed me to and I'm formulating my Pumpkin Beer Recipe. After much tweaking I've gotten the gravity to 1.036 but that does not include the pumpkin (doesn't have a spot on the calucator for such things). I'll be using 6 pounds of pumpkin for a 5 gallon batch. Anyone know how much the original gravity will be with the pumpkin?
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I知 a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


Very little. A 15 ounce can only has 1/2 ounce of sugar.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Very little. A 15 ounce can only has 1/2 ounce of sugar.
I'm actually using fresh pumpkin (the actual pie pumpkin which has slightly higher sugar content). Do you think it'll add at leat 0.01 to the gravity?
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I知 a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Anyone else want to weigh in? If not, so-k.
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I知 a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
WortMonger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,122
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts


Canned pumpkin is real pie pumpkin, they put a picture of the pretty orange pumpkin on the can to sell the product. The orange pumpkins "jack-o-lantern pumpkins" have less sugar content than the canned pumpkin you can buy. Real pumpkin pie is made with a cousin to the butternut squash. I argue with my mom every year and she makes a pie with fresh orange pumpkins that is really good, just not as good as the real kind. This being said, the pumpkin is more of a flavor additive than a fermentable. We used orange pumpkins in our winterfest at the brewery and it was noticeable but not upfront, but had to compete with a ton of spices so.... IMHO, I think pumping up your base malt and other malt additions a little and not worrying about the sugar addition of the pumpkin is the way to go. Oh, and you can use whatever kind of pumpkin in the beer, they all taste great in pie (some just better/different than others).
__________________
"Beer... Nutritious and Delicious!"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Canned pumpkin is real pie pumpkin, they put a picture of the pretty orange pumpkin on the can to sell the product. The orange pumpkins "jack-o-lantern pumpkins" have less sugar content than the canned pumpkin you can buy. Real pumpkin pie is made with a cousin to the butternut squash. I argue with my mom every year and she makes a pie with fresh orange pumpkins that is really good, just not as good as the real kind. This being said, the pumpkin is more of a flavor additive than a fermentable. We used orange pumpkins in our winterfest at the brewery and it was noticeable but not upfront, but had to compete with a ton of spices so.... IMHO, I think pumping up your base malt and other malt additions a little and not worrying about the sugar addition of the pumpkin is the way to go. Oh, and you can use whatever kind of pumpkin in the beer, they all taste great in pie (some just better/different than others).
Great info! Thanks!!!!!!!
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I知 a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
WortMonger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,122
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts


Funny turn of events, I helped my mom can 12 pies-worth of orange pumpkin tonight, lol. One was yellow the other dark tan on the inside. She baked the whole pumpkins for two hours then cut them and blended them into puree. Don't know what temp, but they sure smelled good. I had no idea she was doing it tonight, lol. Just thought it was funny I answered a question and then had to do it, lol.
__________________
"Beer... Nutritious and Delicious!"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Funny turn of events, I helped my mom can 12 pies-worth of orange pumpkin tonight, lol. One was yellow the other dark tan on the inside. She baked the whole pumpkins for two hours then cut them and blended them into puree. Don't know what temp, but they sure smelled good. I had no idea she was doing it tonight, lol. Just thought it was funny I answered a question and then had to do it, lol.
Hahahaha! That's sycronisity for you!.
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I知 a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
WortMonger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,122
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts


I walked in after writing that and asked what that smell was, then laughed.
__________________
"Beer... Nutritious and Delicious!"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

WilliamWS Likes This 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Points in my pumpkin ale runhard Recipes/Ingredients 2 11-04-2007 01:53 PM
gravity points for clover honey kappclark General Techniques 3 07-14-2007 10:44 PM
Gravity points for frut? Professor Frink Recipes/Ingredients 4 07-09-2007 10:29 PM
Does lactose add gravity points? モ Flannag疂n Recipes/Ingredients 6 04-16-2007 03:36 PM
Can I get gravity points that are not sugar? Kaboom All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 11-15-2006 12:33 AM


Forum Jump