Mmmm...$1,200 beer.... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Mmmm...$1,200 beer....

Old 05-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...ITALY-BEER.xml

ROME (Reuters) - He had heard Rome was expensive but nothing prepared the Hong Kong tourist for a 990 euro ($1,251) beer.
The unwary visitor received the bumper bar bill for a drink sipped near Rome's most famous street, Via Veneto, where beers usually cost as much as 10 euros, Rome mayor's office said.
The tourist, who was traveling alone, was invited to the bar by a tout who served him a beer and then said it would cost him 990 euros. He bartered it down to 490 euros, but the bar owner ended up taking 990 euros off his credit card anyway.
"When the bill arrived I thought it was safer to pay it. I was scared something could happen to me if I didn't," the man, whose name was withdrawn, told Rome mayor's office that is investigating the crime.

The tourist, who is from Hong Kong but lives in Germany and has a British passport, tried to report the fraud to the police but said he could not make himself understood because no one spoke English.
Tourists to Rome have surged in the past five years -- visitors were up 60 percent in April compared with a year ago
-- but the unwary can find the Eternal City's charms obscured by the fight to get a fair price.
Most visitors have tales of rip offs by bar, restaurant and hotel owners but they often pale beside stories of taxi drivers who can charge hundreds of euros for trips from the airport and then dump those who refuse to pay by the side of the motorway.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

if I remember from a thread a couple days ago, that's the current price of a pint of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
if I remember from a thread a couple days ago, that's the current price of a pint of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA.
Isn't that the beer in the special case? The one with the electronic surveillance and the heavily armed guy in the uniform staring at you menacingly just for breathing in the 120's general direction???

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 05-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

no.. that is the 90 minute you are thinking of. They don't even allow the 120 minute outside their brewing compound unless it's in an armored car.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:30 AM   #5
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Wimbledon Finals
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

what a dumb ass! what ever happened to the expression, "when in rome..." he should have been ordering Wine not beer!
that beer in the pic did look pretty good though!

p.s. i think the dogfish head 120 stands for 120 weeks is how long it takes thier beer to travel from delaware to virginia beach...
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Borg
what a dumb ass! what ever happened to the expression, "when in rome..." he should have been ordering Wine not beer!
that beer in the pic did look pretty good though!

p.s. i think the dogfish head 120 stands for 120 weeks is how long it takes thier beer to travel from maryland to virginia beach...

I missed the link... The beer does looks pretty good....

And according to our friends at Mapquest, if you use their driving direx from the brewery in Milton DE. To Virginia Beach VA, it's 171 miles or 3 hrs 37 min....

If your road construction is like ours tho, yeah, about 120 weeks to get from point A to point B should be just about right....

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com