Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > bananas & peanut butter elvis beer

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #31
bourgeoisbee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Great photos! I'm hoping/guessing you won't get the fat from the peanut butter coming out out of suspension later with the powdered peanut butter - perfect choice! I know that can happen with too much chocolate (actual chocolate, not chocolate malt) in a beer. Maybe secondary half of it with more peanut butter and compare the two. The smoked dubbel you have on deck sounds good too by name/short description, and I'm not even a fan of most smoked beers.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #32
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgeoisbee View Post
Great photos! I'm hoping/guessing you won't get the fat from the peanut butter coming out out of suspension later with the powdered peanut butter - perfect choice! I know that can happen with too much chocolate (actual chocolate, not chocolate malt) in a beer. Maybe secondary half of it with more peanut butter and compare the two. The smoked dubbel you have on deck sounds good too by name/short description, and I'm not even a fan of most smoked beers.
The dubbel is an alternate version of the one on my recipe list with cherry wood smoked rye malt. It is part of a contest in Philly that i got into...If i win judging i brew it for next years philly beer week- but everyone has to use the smoked rye...its the "secret ingredient".....

Great idea....I'm contemplating splitting this into 6 growlers after primary, do some with more peanutbutter, some with varying levels of banana and bacon and one just left as is.....tastes great and no congealing of fats yet....fingers crossed!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #33
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Pictures will be up tonight but just checked on it and it smells and tastes awesome. I used ripe bananas but only yellow- no black. Used 8 and it seems to be the perfect number because the taste is shaping up to exactly what i envisioned....

The banana in this darker beer are much more subdued than version 1. Tastes really well balanced, the banana comes through in almost a caramelized banana flavor at the end along with subtle smoke. I may have to add more PB but this is looking like its going to be the one.... Fingers crossed...

Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #34
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Update- this is sitting in tertiary. I have no idea what do because the banana faded so quickly that I am reluctant to add more. Peanutbutter is subtle. Overall this is an awesome example of a smoked porter but im missing the bananas. I am thinking of adding more PB and possibly yoopers banana wine (bottled 3 years ago) added to the beer? Thoughts?

The bacon extract

Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #35
Crimsonwine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So where are you at with this now? Funny I was thinking of banana bread ale and adding peanut butter to it and making an Elvis beer...

What about adding banana extract to it?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #36
MakoMadness
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Did this end up being a bust or have you been able to fine tune it?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #37
scinerd3000
Recipes 

this turned out good. Next time I make it I will use more bananas and another thing of peanutbutter...the peanutbutter flavor faded quicker than I would have liked. It is deffinitly getting brewed again....I haven't had a chance since though...