Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Promash Question

Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
davidkrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Promash Question

When I setup promash, I set the "Default Brewhaus Efficiency " at 75% as recommended. When I did an actual brew and plugged in the numbers I had a 78% efficiency. My question is what does this mean? Did I get 78% of a 75% efficiency or an actual 51% eficiency. Why do the have a " Default Brewhaus Efficiency" at all and what does it meam?

Old 05-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

You got actual 78% efficiency. The efficiency you set in Promash is so that Promash can calculate what kind of gravity you can expect for a given grist.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Promash needs to know the Brew-house efficiency to convert the amount of grain used into the amount of extract that will end up in the wort. Since this efficiency needs to be determined by brewing a batch, a default is given to help you designing your 1st batch. Once you brewed your 1st batch, you will get a more accurate value for your system (78% in your case).

bear in mind, that the efficiency depends not only on your system, but also the type of grain (e.g barley vs. wheat malt), sparging technique, OG (higher gravity beers may have a lower efficiency since you may have to stop lautering before almost all of the sugars are rinsed out), mashing schedule ....

But these differences will only be a few percent points in your efficiency. Once you have done more batches you will get a feel for the efficiency on your system and you can better predict the efficiency for future batches. But for now, since both are close, just work with the default 75% or your last efficiency of 78%.

Kai

Old 05-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
davidkrau
Recipes 

Thanks Kai

Old 05-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Don't forget the water. Different grisits require different amounts of water. With a high gravity beer you can end up with nine or ten gallons of wort in the kettle pre-boil. The amount of time you boil and the amount of flame used can effect how much wort ends up in your fermenter. This has been a continuous struggle for me. I end up adjusting my water needed numbers after the brewing session to correct the difference when I don't hit my target post boil volume.