Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Building a $10 primary fermenter

Old 11-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
sampson420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Building a $10 primary fermenter

Ok so I really wanted to ferment a bunch of booze, but I didn't want to spend all kinds of money and stuff and drive all the way to my local home brew store to buy some buckets. So I went to wally world (wal-mart... durr), and I bought a few "aqua-tainers", the cheap 7 gallon food grade water storage tanks in the huntin'/fishin' section. , then, I took a pair of scissors... yes you all have them, and i modified the air hole (you know, that hole where the air goes in when you pour out water) to accept a 1/2 inch grommet, and poof, I had an unlimited supply of cheap primary fermenters I could put said wort or other fermentable liquid in, and forget until it was ready. No 30 dollar carboys, or driving all the way to the home brew store, just a short trip to wally world and the hardware store. And fricken POOF! you got a $10 fermenter with more headspace than your uncles conversion van! Happy brewing!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Some of us are a little more concerned with the pH of beer and how it will affect, or interact with, the chemical composition of some plastics.

As a primary, this container may be fine. But I very seriously doubt it is sufficient as a brite tank for those of us who bottle as there is very little concern about the potential for having oxidized water.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you know what type of plastic you have there? I would assume it's not category 1 PET.

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 11-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
sampson420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Some of us are a little more concerned with the pH of beer and how it will affect, or interact with, the chemical composition of some plastics.

As a primary, this container may be fine. But I very seriously doubt it is sufficient as a brite tank for those of us who bottle as there is very little concern about the potential for having oxidized water.
umm... well its got the same plastic rating of those foodsafe buckets you use....

Old 11-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
GNBrews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is oxygen permeability *really* that big of an issue? Compared to the seal at the lid or airlock bung, the interstitial space between molecules of the LDPE plastic is nothin'.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
sampson420
Recipes 

and according to almost anybody on this site, hdpe (i.e. "2" in the little hippie triangle) is an acceptable substance to ferment brew in....

Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Lots of angles and difficult areas to clean.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
sampson420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Lots of angles and difficult areas to clean.
Well, my whole point was you can stick a batch in it, leave it alone for a while, (i.e. barley wine ect...) and you didn't have to free up or disrupt any other fermenters in the process... and they are cheap so set it... and forget it.... Im sure in a few months when you get some bad arse shiat outta it you wont mind soaking it for a few hours to clean the grime outta it, or even just recycle it and buy an new one...

Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
goodbyebluesky82
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I picked up a 5 gallon bucket in the paint section of wal-mart this week. Its got the "2" on the underside so its good to go, and only $4.27. (the lid is another $1) All it would need is the grommet and airlock to be a primary for maybe 6 bucks total.

I picked mine up to make a bottling bucket, by drilling a hole and mounting a spigot from the LHBS, but I might pick another up to brew cider/apfelwein in while my 7 gallon primary is tied up with beer.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
sampson420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyebluesky82 View Post
I picked up a 5 gallon bucket in the paint section of wal-mart this week. Its got the "2" on the underside so its good to go, and only $4.27. (the lid is another $1) All it would need is the grommet and airlock to be a primary for maybe 6 bucks total.

I picked mine up to make a bottling bucket, by drilling a hole and mounting a spigot from the LHBS, but I might pick another up to brew cider/apfelwein in while my 7 gallon primary is tied up with beer.
Right on man.... I dedicate this thread to all the people out there who want to stick brews in a cheap primary for long periods of time without paying craploads of money for these carboys and buckets. Not to say carboys are bad, but for some uses, they just aren't economical, especially in THIS economy..