Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bulk aging or bottle aging for big beers

Old 11-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
Frost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bulk aging or bottle aging for big beers

I've got a belgian abby that is going to come in around 10% ABV. I plan on aging it for around 8-9 months before trying it. Should I bottle it around 2 months and age it in the bottle or should I age it in the secondary for 6-7 months before bottling? Or does it matter? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

bottle it. Just my 2 cents. The risk with bulk aging it is that the yeast will go dormant and you will have to re-pitch in order to bottle carbonate.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2844 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

You can bulk age in secondary for a couple of months without the need/worry about re-pitching.

I would bulk for a couple months in secondary so the flavors sort of marry each other together in a larger volume, then bottle it and condition for several more months.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I would definitely bulk age it for a few months (3-4 if it were me) and then bottle and age for another few months.

I bulk aged my Wee Heavy (1.089 OG) for 6 months and had no trouble getting it to carb up in the bottle.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Frost
Recipes 

That's kinda what I was thinking too. I didn't want to have to re-pitch the yeast. Thanks for the advice!