carrot cider? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > carrot cider?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
BigStone777
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Henan Province, China
Posts: 66
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I post this almost jokingly, but i was also wondering opinions... is fresh carrot juice able to be fermented? In theory, could one make carrot mead or carrot cider?
Hm, i might try to make a pint or at most a gal of carrot cider just to see. If its nasty, it could make a good white elephant gift...


__________________
Support Medicinal Mead
Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.
If all else fails, just drink more mead anyway...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,995
Liked 7594 Times on 5344 Posts


Yes, and I believe Orfy made a carrot wine. I've never made it, but I would if I had enough carrots. I have a recipe somewhere in a book that I'll try to dig up later today. (I have an appointment in about 15 minutes!)


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
mrsunshades
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Ball Ground, GA
Posts: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStone777 View Post
I post this almost jokingly, but i was also wondering opinions... is fresh carrot juice able to be fermented? In theory, could one make carrot mead or carrot cider?
Hm, i might try to make a pint or at most a gal of carrot cider just to see. If its nasty, it could make a good white elephant gift...
I've always loved fresh carrot juice from the juicer, and even better is adding a couple apples to the mix - apple/carrot juice is heavenly!!! Well, just think about the possibilities - hard apple cider is great; why not add carrots and a little honey for a carro-cyser !!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
EvilTOJ
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,401
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts


Carro-cyser sounds like an updhoch.
__________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Krausen89
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 98
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


So I just tried a batch of apple carrot cider. Has honey, but only about half cup dry mes. Cup. For a half gal batch I used macintost and granny smith apples and 3 carrots. Pasturized and topped up with water. Email me for full recipe if you would like to try it. Im only.going to ferment for a couple days and bottle. Ill keep you guys posted

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Krausen89
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 98
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120718_171902.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	68808

cyncastic Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Onihige
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Sweden
Posts: 257
Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts


That is a great way of getting your inbox spammed, if not worse. If you're giving out your e-mail publicly, do it like this: "bla_bla_@_gmail_.com (remove all the _)" or something similar. Expecially if your passwords are weak. Often people go to forums, browse the user list and try a username and use their nickname backwards as password. If it works, and there are always people with stupid passwords - they will try your e-mail too.

Edit: removed his e-mail from my post.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Krausen89
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 98
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Onihige

That is a great way of getting your inbox spammed, if not worse. If you're giving out your e-mail publicly, do it like this: "bla_bla_@_gmail_.com (remove all the _)" or something similar. Expecially if your passwords are weak. Often people go to forums, browse the user list and try a username and use their nickname backwards as password. If it works, and there are always people with stupid passwords - they will try your e-mail too.
Thanks for the advice. I changed it I hope that works

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
anplica
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Rochester, MN
Posts: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krausen89 View Post
So I just tried a batch of apple carrot cider. Has honey, but only about half cup dry mes. Cup. For a half gal batch I used macintost and granny smith apples and 3 carrots. Pasturized and topped up with water. Email me for full recipe if you would like to try it. Im only.going to ferment for a couple days and bottle. Ill keep you guys posted
This sounds like a great experiment & I'd like to try some carrot cyser myself. Krausen, please email me your recipe: anplica(at)gmail(dot)com. Anyone else have tips for how much carrot juice to add to a standard cyser recipe for a newbie?

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
BBBF
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,358
Liked 95 Times on 77 Posts


I made a carrot mead before. Can you guess which one is it?




 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrot wine is delicious! JeremyCT Winemaking Forum 69 10-31-2015 01:18 PM
Carrot Beer? RichBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 33 03-23-2014 02:49 AM
carrot n ginger cider (ginger fear ) carlos Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes 4 09-29-2011 05:09 AM
Orange Carrot Sobe anyone? Ben25 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 06-11-2008 09:33 PM
Carrot wine. Orfy Winemaking Forum 8 03-28-2007 11:23 PM


Forum Jump