Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Leffe Blonde Clone

Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #11
rpg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just started this with a few adjustments:
  • I scaled the recipe down to about 4 gallons since I was only using a total of 6.6 pounds of LME.
  • I substituted 2 oz Saaz whole leaf and 1/4 oz Fuggles pellets since that's what I had on hand.

I'm planning for 2 weeks in primary, then bottle 1 gallon for holiday gifts and rack the remaining 3 gallongs into secondary for 2 weeks before kegging it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

scaled this one down to a half batch (2.5 gallon). Currently bubbling away, guess we'll see in a month or so

Old 01-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
rpg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update on my batch: fermentation stopped at 1.020. Overall, this is WAY too sweet which masked everything else going on, but there was some banana/spiciness trying to break through. Color was too dark. During a side-by-side comparison with Leffe Blonde, this was clearly very different.

Nonetheless, I think I'll try this again as a half batch, but go all grain and sub out some grain for more candi sugar, and go with a different hop selection (maybe Saaz and Styrian Golding).

Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mines still in the secondary. Had a sip this morning and seems I have the opposite problem, not sweet enough. I was having a Leffe today during my brew day (attempt at a Westmalle Tripel) to compare with a previous leffe attempt. Its actually damn sweet when you pay attention. I thought my previous one was too sweet. Was still a long way off a clone though. Mine had the right amount of sweetness, but it was all the way at the back for some reason. The leffe is sweet right through

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
uncleleon
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did this recipe last year. The best brew in my wife's opinion. I subbed Galena for the ringwood hops. Mine had a bit more of the yeast flavors because of higher ferm temp. Aged well

-Cheers

Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made this recipe and had issues. I'm thinking it got to warm. I used the Wyeast Abby Ale II yeast. It fermented around 70 degrees and wreaked of bubblegum. Also needed a blow off as my OG was 1.074. It was in primary for 2 weeks then racked to secondary and has been there for several weeks. The smell wreaks of cider. I'm wondering if it just fermented too warm. I have a fermentation chamber and it was set to 65 but I pitched at 72 and it took off quick. I don't think my chamber could get it cold enough. Anywho...I just tried it again tonight and the bubblegum is going away but the taste is like I used S-05 and fermented too warm.

I was expecting banana and clove...I hope this thing comes around. Oh well...maybe I'll brew it again to see if I can get it right.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
akostajti
Recipes 

I just made an experiment for creating leffe. I used pilsner, munich and caramalt AND some wheat (10%). Because leffe definitely contains wheat. Just tasted the beer. Although it's not exactly the same as leffe blonde but it is very close to it.