Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Oxygen "Absorbing" Caps
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 5,679
Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

The only time I use the O2-absorbing caps is when it's a beer that is intended to be cellared for an extended period of time- a barleywine or RIS, for example.


flyangler18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
giligson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver Area - Canada
Posts: 756
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Where are all the "no plastic is touching my brew" nuts out there to comment on this... come on....did you see that patent? plastics, oxygen absorbers, resins etc etc....where are you guys.




giligson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
-TH-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zeeland, Michigan
Posts: 988
Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
You are doing yourself and your beer a disservice. No brewery sanitizes their caps. The alcohol in the beer will kill any contaminates.
Are you talking just the O2 caps or all caps? This is contrary to what I've read most everywhere including Palmer...

"2. Prepare your bottle caps. Bottle caps must be sanitized before use, and the best way is to soak them in sanitizing solution. Some brewers use flip-top (Groelsch style) bottles. The ceramic part of the flip tops can be sanitized along with the bottles. The rubber seals can be sanitized like the bottle caps."

It makes sense though and I always thought it was a little overboard to sanitize caps since the beer doesn't actually contact the cap (in my case atleast). However I don't buy the reasoning that the alcohol will kill any contaminates because if that were true then we wouldn't have to sanitize our bottles.
__________________
TH

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com
-TH- is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
TeleTwanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 693
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Are you talking just the O2 caps or all caps? This is contrary to what I've read most everywhere including Palmer...

"2. Prepare your bottle caps. Bottle caps must be sanitized before use, and the best way is to soak them in sanitizing solution. Some brewers use flip-top (Groelsch style) bottles. The ceramic part of the flip tops can be sanitized along with the bottles. The rubber seals can be sanitized like the bottle caps."

It makes sense though and I always thought it was a little overboard to sanitize caps since the beer doesn't actually contact the cap (in my case atleast). However I don't buy the reasoning that the alcohol will kill any contaminates because if that were true then we wouldn't have to sanitize our bottles.
+1 I sanitize my caps. Proof that beer can get infected while bottling my last batch I ran out of sanitized bottles so I took 1 bottle that was clean and rinsed but not sanitized and filled it, sure enough that 1 bottle was a gusher and all the rest weren't. It's such an easy thing to do why risk it?

As far as o2 absorbing, meh I'm sure they work but there shouldn't be a lot of o2 in the finished beer to begin with, and whatever does make it gets absorbed by the yeast. I think for long term storage they might be practical, otherwise o2 in headspace is a non issue for me.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: DogFish 60 Clone
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA


"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

TeleTwanger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BarleyWater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Posts: 2,211
Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
You are doing yourself and your beer a disservice. No brewery sanitizes their caps. The alcohol in the beer will kill any contaminates. You need to cap and then invert for the oxy caps to work. If you sanitize them you lose the oxygen absobing properties.

Oxygen barrier and Oxygen absorbing caps are the same. Everyone sells the same caps from the same distributors.

Forrest
First time I have ever been told that sanitation is doing myself a disservice.

I have gotten an infection that I know came at bottling time, so no, the alcohol in the beer doesn't kill everything. I'm still going to sanitize my caps, because like I said, since I buy 3lb bags, they sit around open for months before all the caps get used. There is no way that at least one of those caps doesn't have a wild yeast cell hanging out on it, and that's a risk I'm not taking. I also agree with the previous statement, why do we need to sanitize our bottles if the alcohol will kill everything? I guess I'm just wasting the extra couple bucks to upgrade to the O2 caps.
__________________

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA


www.franconiabrewing.com
BarleyWater is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:12 AM   #16
Pelikan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pelikan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Q Continuum
Posts: 938
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
First time I have ever been told that sanitation is doing myself a disservice.

I have gotten an infection that I know came at bottling time, so no, the alcohol in the beer doesn't kill everything. I'm still going to sanitize my caps, because like I said, since I buy 3lb bags, they sit around open for months before all the caps get used. There is no way that at least one of those caps doesn't have a wild yeast cell hanging out on it, and that's a risk I'm not taking. I also agree with the previous statement, why do we need to sanitize our bottles if the alcohol will kill everything? I guess I'm just wasting the extra couple bucks to upgrade to the O2 caps.
It's all about cell counts, me thinks. Will that one wild yeast cell have enough gusto to overcome the many yeast cells already in the brew, to the point of noticing off flavors? No. I doubt a guy in the industry like Forest would recommend using the O2 caps, then inverting the brew, if there was any chance at all of contamination.

We sanitize the bottles, again, because of cell counts. Many, many cells can collect in a bottle compared to a cap, unless you leave the cap out on your bathroom floor and kick it around for fun when you're using the pot.

All kidding aside, all the power to you if you want to sanitize the caps. Can't hurt, at any rate -- unless you're using those O2 buggers.
__________________
Back to brewing! It's been too long!!
Pelikan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,284
Liked 665 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
I'm definately not putting anything on top of my beer that has been sitting out without it being sanitized first. Even though they're in a bag in a cabinet, they sit around for months, and I open up and stick my hands in that bag every few weeks. No way am I not sanitizing those caps.
I've bottled thousands without pre-soaking or sanitizing. I use O2 absorbing caps.

Never an issue with infection.

Infections are over publicized.
BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:28 AM   #18
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,532
Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

It won't be a problem if you sanitize your caps. My point was don't waste extra money on O2 caps if you are going to sanitize them. Just use regular caps instead. If you sanitize the O2 caps you lose the benefit and the extra money spent on the caps.
Austinhomebrew is offline
andymi86 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #19
SilverKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 197
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Any of you guys who participate in swaps... do you bother with O2 absorbing caps? Or just regular caps for the trek across country?

I want to send some holiday cheer to California and it's a long haul from Tampa.
__________________
Silver King Brewery
Tampa, FL
SilverKing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:21 AM   #20
Pelikan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pelikan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Q Continuum
Posts: 938
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

By the way, I inverted the brews about a day and a half after brewing to get the O2 thingies going (didn't find out about the inversion until reading about it here, you'd think that would be somewhere on the package)...hopefully I wasn't too late. Next time I'll invert at bottling.

I do tend to sit my brews down before drinking, sometimes for months in the case of stouts. I figure the O2 caps can't hurt, and at any rate the fairly negligible difference in cost between them and regulars seals the deal.


__________________
Back to brewing! It's been too long!!
Pelikan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oxygen absorbing caps???... browntrout Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 08-30-2012 07:33 AM
Oxygen absorbing caps GuitarBob Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 03-27-2009 08:27 PM
Another Oxygen Absorbing Caps question Laurel Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 07-02-2008 01:29 AM
Oxygen absorbing bottle caps max-the-knife Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 09-09-2006 07:18 PM
oxygen absorbing caps alemonkey Bottling/Kegging 1 08-13-2006 10:39 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS