Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Oxygen "Absorbing" Caps

Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The only time I use the O2-absorbing caps is when it's a beer that is intended to be cellared for an extended period of time- a barleywine or RIS, for example.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where are all the "no plastic is touching my brew" nuts out there to comment on this... come on....did you see that patent? plastics, oxygen absorbers, resins etc etc....where are you guys.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
You are doing yourself and your beer a disservice. No brewery sanitizes their caps. The alcohol in the beer will kill any contaminates.
Are you talking just the O2 caps or all caps? This is contrary to what I've read most everywhere including Palmer...

"2. Prepare your bottle caps. Bottle caps must be sanitized before use, and the best way is to soak them in sanitizing solution. Some brewers use flip-top (Groelsch style) bottles. The ceramic part of the flip tops can be sanitized along with the bottles. The rubber seals can be sanitized like the bottle caps."

It makes sense though and I always thought it was a little overboard to sanitize caps since the beer doesn't actually contact the cap (in my case atleast). However I don't buy the reasoning that the alcohol will kill any contaminates because if that were true then we wouldn't have to sanitize our bottles.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Are you talking just the O2 caps or all caps? This is contrary to what I've read most everywhere including Palmer...

"2. Prepare your bottle caps. Bottle caps must be sanitized before use, and the best way is to soak them in sanitizing solution. Some brewers use flip-top (Groelsch style) bottles. The ceramic part of the flip tops can be sanitized along with the bottles. The rubber seals can be sanitized like the bottle caps."

It makes sense though and I always thought it was a little overboard to sanitize caps since the beer doesn't actually contact the cap (in my case atleast). However I don't buy the reasoning that the alcohol will kill any contaminates because if that were true then we wouldn't have to sanitize our bottles.
+1 I sanitize my caps. Proof that beer can get infected while bottling my last batch I ran out of sanitized bottles so I took 1 bottle that was clean and rinsed but not sanitized and filled it, sure enough that 1 bottle was a gusher and all the rest weren't. It's such an easy thing to do why risk it?

As far as o2 absorbing, meh I'm sure they work but there shouldn't be a lot of o2 in the finished beer to begin with, and whatever does make it gets absorbed by the yeast. I think for long term storage they might be practical, otherwise o2 in headspace is a non issue for me.
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
You are doing yourself and your beer a disservice. No brewery sanitizes their caps. The alcohol in the beer will kill any contaminates. You need to cap and then invert for the oxy caps to work. If you sanitize them you lose the oxygen absobing properties.

Oxygen barrier and Oxygen absorbing caps are the same. Everyone sells the same caps from the same distributors.

Forrest
First time I have ever been told that sanitation is doing myself a disservice.

I have gotten an infection that I know came at bottling time, so no, the alcohol in the beer doesn't kill everything. I'm still going to sanitize my caps, because like I said, since I buy 3lb bags, they sit around open for months before all the caps get used. There is no way that at least one of those caps doesn't have a wild yeast cell hanging out on it, and that's a risk I'm not taking. I also agree with the previous statement, why do we need to sanitize our bottles if the alcohol will kill everything? I guess I'm just wasting the extra couple bucks to upgrade to the O2 caps.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-22-2008, 02:12 AM   #16
Pelikan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
First time I have ever been told that sanitation is doing myself a disservice.

I have gotten an infection that I know came at bottling time, so no, the alcohol in the beer doesn't kill everything. I'm still going to sanitize my caps, because like I said, since I buy 3lb bags, they sit around open for months before all the caps get used. There is no way that at least one of those caps doesn't have a wild yeast cell hanging out on it, and that's a risk I'm not taking. I also agree with the previous statement, why do we need to sanitize our bottles if the alcohol will kill everything? I guess I'm just wasting the extra couple bucks to upgrade to the O2 caps.
It's all about cell counts, me thinks. Will that one wild yeast cell have enough gusto to overcome the many yeast cells already in the brew, to the point of noticing off flavors? No. I doubt a guy in the industry like Forest would recommend using the O2 caps, then inverting the brew, if there was any chance at all of contamination.

We sanitize the bottles, again, because of cell counts. Many, many cells can collect in a bottle compared to a cap, unless you leave the cap out on your bathroom floor and kick it around for fun when you're using the pot.

All kidding aside, all the power to you if you want to sanitize the caps. Can't hurt, at any rate -- unless you're using those O2 buggers.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 665 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
I'm definately not putting anything on top of my beer that has been sitting out without it being sanitized first. Even though they're in a bag in a cabinet, they sit around for months, and I open up and stick my hands in that bag every few weeks. No way am I not sanitizing those caps.
I've bottled thousands without pre-soaking or sanitizing. I use O2 absorbing caps.

Never an issue with infection.

Infections are over publicized.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:28 AM   #18
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 91

It won't be a problem if you sanitize your caps. My point was don't waste extra money on O2 caps if you are going to sanitize them. Just use regular caps instead. If you sanitize the O2 caps you lose the benefit and the extra money spent on the caps.
andymi86 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #19
SilverKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any of you guys who participate in swaps... do you bother with O2 absorbing caps? Or just regular caps for the trek across country?

I want to send some holiday cheer to California and it's a long haul from Tampa.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:21 AM   #20
Pelikan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

By the way, I inverted the brews about a day and a half after brewing to get the O2 thingies going (didn't find out about the inversion until reading about it here, you'd think that would be somewhere on the package)...hopefully I wasn't too late. Next time I'll invert at bottling.

I do tend to sit my brews down before drinking, sometimes for months in the case of stouts. I figure the O2 caps can't hurt, and at any rate the fairly negligible difference in cost between them and regulars seals the deal.