Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold-crashing in primary... outdoors

Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
uncleozzy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold-crashing in primary... outdoors

I'm planning on bottling a beer this weekend that will have been in primary 4 weeks by bottling day. I don't have a spare fridge, or a garage, or much space for outdoor use, but the weather is cooperating, and the highs and lows should all be between 30-40 for the next three or four days.

There's a shady spot right outside my door where I could park my ale pail (covered, and in a tub of water, if necessary to buffer against temperature fluctuation) for two or three days before bottling. Good idea, or terrible idea? I'm not too worried about clarity, although I forgot the irish moss in this boil, so if I can give it a little help, and the weather is cooperating, I thought it might be a good idea.

What do you folks think? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is the reason behind sitting it outside a few days prior to bottling? I didn't want to speak from my rear and say its pointless since once bottled you can shove some in the fridge to help with clarity. But then you mentioned clarity wasn't a concern?
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
uncleozzy
Recipes 

I guess I should have said that I'm not super hung-up on clarity. I'd still like clear beer, if I can get it. I figure, lots of people cold-crash, I'm just trying to get a feel for whether it'd be worth it with potential 30-40F swings during the day. There's a pretty narrow window where the outdoor temperatures don't get too warm or too cold, so I thought it might be nice to take advantage, if it'd be worthwhile.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok well if you want to clear it up some I would go for it then.
However racking to a secondary and letting that go a few more weeks might give better results?
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
uncleozzy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
However racking to a secondary and letting that go a few more weeks might give better results?
If I had a vessel to secondary in, or a place to store it, I'd probably do it. But, it's a small apartment so I take what I can get. Four weeks in primary has been really good to this beer, actually.

In any case, unless somebody chimes in with a reason this is a really bad idea, I'm probably going to cover it up and stick it outside tonight and hope for the best. Thanks.