Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hmmm. What happened here?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Hmmm. What happened here?

I brewed an English Ale with a friend about 10 days ago. We racked to secondary last night and the beer has a mildly sour aroma and taste. Recipe:
3 lbs Muntons Amber LME
1 lb Muntons Amber DME
1 lb Crystal Malt 40L
.5 oz Styrian Goldings (60)
.5 oz Styrian Goldings (15)
.5 oz Willamette (5)
2 pkg Wyeast #1187, Ringwood yeast

First pitch did not take off so we re-pitched 2 days later. Fermented at around 63 to 65 F. I noted when removing the lid that it did not seem to be sealed well, just kind of popped off. I am wondering if I got some contamination from a poor seal.
I welcome any thoughts from the group.

The Brewhouse at Alewife Cove

No matter how much I miss my target, I still make beer.

Primary 1 - Nada
Primary 2 - Zip
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - Ocean House Coffee Porter
Kegged - Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011
Bottled -
Drinking - Oak Pond Somerset Lager, October Fest & Nut Brown. Ocean House Coffee Porter. Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Liked 135 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It is unlikely your lid's seal had anything to do with it.

For one thing, I've been brewing with "open" fermentation for years. My primary consists of an Ale Pail with a sheet of clear Plexiglas just laid over the mouth of the bucket. I have never - not once - experienced an infection with this method.

For another, you had a 48-hour lag time. It is possible that your wort picked up an infection in that time, before the Ringwood had a chance to get moving.

But chances are you're not infected at all. Chances are it's just young, green beer. Give it a couple of weeks to clarify and age and sample it again.

Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands
Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #3

The last time I used ringwood yeast when it was young it tasted that way as well. give it some time. Ringwood yeast is the strangest yeast Ive used so far
On tap: Wet Hop IPA and Farmhouse Ale
Primary 1: Pumpkin Ale
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Give it some time...

I had two batches that I thought were sour. One of them I was almost positive of. I was ready to boil or get rid of a lot of my siphoning equipment.

On the advice of this forum I kept them and eventually kegged them. They both turned out great. Pale Ale was gone w/in 2 weeks of kegging it and I still have a little Kolsch left.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #5

Leave it!

Ringwood is a pretty oddball yeast, I wouldn't judge anything brewed with it this early.