Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vigorous fermentation, but slowwwwww

Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
scottfro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vigorous fermentation, but slowwwwww

So I'm using some 1007 yeast that was washed and is over a month old now so I know its probably a bit tired. But why would I have an extremely vigorous fermentation (big krauesen, lots of churning in the carboy), but really slow fermentation completion? Its been over a week for a 1.058 OG and its only down to 1.032.

Just seems funny to have so much activity (visually) but little activity (by the numbers)

Secondary:

Bottled:
#30 Chocolate Porter
#27 Smoked Ale
#26 Hard Apple Cider (Champagne Yeast)
#25 Big Als' Blackberry Brew 2008
#15 Hard Apple Cyser

Kegged:
#31 Field Hand Hefeweizen

http://www.deterrabrewing.com/forum <-- Vancouver Homebrewing Network

Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had huge, vigerous blowoffs, that ended up taking almost two weeks to get to final gravity. You just can't predict what those little yeasties will feel like doing.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got my first wheat beer fermenting now. It has a lot of activity and a lot of krausen and has been at it for over 10 days now. It's kind of amazing but fun to watch. With all the activity it keeps me from worrying..

Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Speranza
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my short time in brewing I have found that a slow long and active fermentation tends to turn out better in the end. So who knows, this brew could be

Old 11-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
scottfro
Recipes 

overall i'm not too concerned with if the beer is good but trying to get a handle on yeast health. i was talking with a professional brewery and he says as soon as his yeast shows any sign of ill health (taking even a day long to ferment out) he will start with a new culture.

another friend suggested i rack it to the secondary (which i usually don't do till after fermentation is all but stopped) to reintroduce a bit of o2 and get things mixed up again.

thoughts?

Secondary:

Bottled:
#30 Chocolate Porter
#27 Smoked Ale
#26 Hard Apple Cider (Champagne Yeast)
#25 Big Als' Blackberry Brew 2008
#15 Hard Apple Cyser

Kegged:
#31 Field Hand Hefeweizen

http://www.deterrabrewing.com/forum <-- Vancouver Homebrewing Network