Homebrew and money - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Homebrew and money

Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Since it's a hobby first money isn't an issue.

However, since what I like to drink cost a lot I do manage to save lots of money over purchasing commercial brews.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
GroovePuppy

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh348877 View Post
craigtube brews to save money.

Although I don't recommend this...

YouTube - Home brewing the easy way part 1
Wow, this is beer horror movies. I'm a noob and I ran out of brain cells trying to memorize all the scary things he does.

Check out his "meaning of life series".
http://www.youtube.com/v/waG8_c1DWfc&hl

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh348877 View Post
craigtube brews to save money.

Although I don't recommend this...
Why, does his beer suck or something?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

I have 80 bottles of Good beer on hand (45 more coming down the pipeline) For a total cost of $65 for the 80 and $100 for the total of 125 bottles. The only beer cheaper would be a Dirty 30 of Busch Light.

You guys that don't save money are giving too much away and upgrading your toys for the sole purpose of having the best of the best. But that happens in every hobby. How high can you go?? *Pulls out wallet*

Realistically, once I have enough beer on hand to keep my occupied I will easily save money, at the expense of maybe 10 hours of my time a month, if that. And I drink a lot.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
GroovePuppy

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
I have 80 bottles of Good beer on hand (45 more coming down the pipeline) For a total cost of $65 for the 80 and $100 for the total of 125 bottles. The only beer cheaper would be a Dirty 30 of Busch Light.

You guys that don't save money are giving too much away and upgrading your toys for the sole purpose of having the best of the best. But that happens in every hobby. How high can you go?? *Pulls out wallet*

Realistically, once I have enough beer on hand to keep my occupied I will easily save money, at the expense of maybe 10 hours of my time a month, if that. And I drink a lot.
I agree that it should be easily possible to make good beer cheaper than it can be bought. Especially if you're doing all-grain and choosing the right beers. I think it's fair to say, however, that the amount saved for the time put in is likely to be way less than minimum wage. You'd probably be better bagging groceries for 10 hours a month IMO and putting that money towards beer.

I may be being simplistic with my numbers. What I do know is I'm enjoying the hell out of brewing. If I come in anywhere close to break even then it's well worth it.

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

You know...as much as I love brewing...There's always some new beer I just have to try at the beerstore...

Or sometimes I want a couple beers of a certain style rather that 5 gallons worth....

Or there's always a new beer at the store, I just have to try....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #17
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts

It is not cost effective.... plain and simple. [/rational reasoning]

After you have forgotten about capitol costs (I mean, its already gone so that doesn't count) and you have "finished" your brewery (which will satisfy your urge to upgrade for ~2 weeks), and if you don't count your labor time (because it is so fun!), then you can save money brewing your own beer. In that deluded world (where I too live) then beer is super cheap to brew. Come on, $40 for 5g's of premium beer... that's soooo cheap! I can't afford not to home brew!

In all seriousness, apfelwein is the only product you can make to save money.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
The Pol
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts

Um, I drink my own, not because it is cheap, because, well... $1500 for equipment aint cheap. I have not bought commercial beer in about 3 years, though when my father in law comes over he brings some wares from the liquor barn.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I started homebrewing recently to save just a little bit on beer. It won't be much because I'm a drunkard but just enough. Plus this will be a learning experience for me and it's always helpful to have a new skill.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #20
Laurel

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

The way I see it is that this is an important skill to have when there's a zombie apocalypse. When the survivors work out a way to have a colony that's zombie-free, there will be demand for fine beers, and if I can provide them, I'll become immensely wealthy, making money on the whole making my own beer thing.

I also have a recipe arriving today that only costs like $32 for an American Red. I'll report back on the flavor when it's done. And that's PM!